My 50g Rimless Journal.

Technorch

BRS Member
I used to own a 100g Cadlights and decided I missed that nice tank so living in an apartment for now I had decided to get another one but smaller this time. I ordered a 50g Artisan II

First of all with the last CADlights tank I had, I had said "never again buying from them" since I had so many problems with their 100g tank. I thought, "well maybe they upped their game and have better service 2-3 years later"....well it's a 50-50. I ordered this tank on February of last year. Fastforward a year later and I 2 months ago I had just the chance to get going on this tank. I did a leak test on it last year and it was good, what I didn't do back then was test the plumbing. Well turns out they drilled the imperial standard bulkhead holes way to close to the overflow and the flange did not sit flush on the glass unless I trimmed some from it. I called them and stalked them for weeks until they decided to accept that they didn't do it right. At this point I do give them credit for admitting it and decided to replace it for free a year later :applouse: I just had to pay for the shipping which I said "screw it, lets just get this done".

I got the new tank a month ago and this time tested everything and even got their "approved" bulkheads which for ok, but....it's METRIC!!! PIA finding the adapter from metric to imperial, but I found them, but then...wait for it...I can't use them!!! Turns out they glued the pipes to the bulkheads so I can't even fit the adapters. I would need an adapter for the adapter :grumpy: I called CADLights about this and they just stopped responding after that. So I'm basically done with them completely.

I gave the old one a chance with the standard bulkheads and just trimmed a little more from the flange and started it up. It doesn't leak "as much" I managed to seal it best I could from the top flange with silicone which I shouldn't need to do that but it worked.

I'll be using a homemade stand enought to hold a 40g as a sump. Eheim 1262 as a return. Radion Gen 3 Pro for light. 2 Mp10's for flow and a Vertex Omega 150 for skimmer.

Pics to follow as I'm done uploading them! :)

Last edited:

Leak test going on

I wanted to do a very minimalistic rock work with just an island or two. This was the original design:

But then decided on this one after many attempts at a decent design for my taste

Last edited:
Homemade stand with 40g breeder as sump

This is the skimmer I will be using. It's so shiny!

Nice! I just bought a SC Aquariums 50 rimless (basically exactly the same as Cadlights from what I can tell), so I am definitely following along :)

I ordered a Marineland cube about five years ago. They drilled the holes for the drain and return backwards. Drain was suppose to be on top and return on the bottom, it was not. The bulkheads are installed before the overflow is installed so once in forget it. It was one of the first ones they made with the overflow flush in the center instead of in the corner. The splashing noise of the falling water was insane. I had to have B call Marineland and my boss called them too. The company I work for sells and services Marineland lobster tanks for Stop & Shop and we do a half million dollars of business with them. I got immediate response!

Nice! I just bought a SC Aquariums 50 rimless (basically exactly the same as Cadlights from what I can tell), so I am definitely following along :)

Thanks! I actually was looking at the sc 50 rimless before I got his one. Should've gone with that one instead lol

I ordered a Marineland cube about five years ago. They drilled the holes for the drain and return backwards. Drain was suppose to be on top and return on the bottom, it was not. The bulkheads are installed before the overflow is installed so once in forget it. It was one of the first ones they made with the overflow flush in the center instead of in the corner. The splashing noise of the falling water was insane. I had to have B call Marineland and my boss called them too. The company I work for sells and services Marineland lobster tanks for Stop & Shop and we do a half million dollars of business with them. I got immediate response!

Feels so good once they admit their fault and respond to solve the issue! :D

Looks awesome keep the pics coming!
Rockwork came out cool. What did you use for epoxy?

OMG! I just made the exact sump sump. 20L, same layout. Top off water on left.

I'm still not sure if I want to use the right side for ato or just make a fuge/mini frag tank. Works great though!

Manny it looks great!!! I'll be following along

Thanks Matt!

Looks awesome keep the pics coming!
Rockwork came out cool. What did you use for epoxy?

Thanks! I used the JB waterweld and let it cure for a whole week to make sure it held ok. I can pick it up from the center arch with just one hand and it has an extremely strong hold.

Updating with a few pictures. Moved from LED back to T5 and I love this look. Corals are looking so much better after almost 2 months.

7a3f9370b83d189fec6d7bbb96bd8835.jpg

4d423b559b61a3053f160efc17dffe0c.jpg

e910fd507abce85a5a355bba068a6f90.jpg

Back