My fish are fat?

FinsUp!

Non-member
I was looking at my kole tang and my banggai a few minutes ago and they both look like they swallowed a good size marble. So I got to thinking... Can fish be too fat? I feed a mixture of pe mysis and fish Goo every day, but not an excessive amount. The tang is a grazer so I can't stop him from being a pig (he waddles when he swims and looks a bit like this - :.), but I don't know how the cardinal got as big as a house. I've still got all my shrimp... I think. :confused:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
hmmm.....good question. Maybe you could install a fish treadmill? Can they see your television? Maybe they are watching too much TV? Have you considered taking them for walks :)

Wait wait, don't take my advice!!!

fishwalk.jpg

My bad!!!!

There is a tv, but it's not even plugged in. I don't think they realize that they ARE my TV!

I was thinking of taking them for a stroll like you mentioned, but on second thought...

Fat is probably good when talking about the fish we keep. As long as your tank isn't getting overwhelmed in nusiance algae I'd wouldn't worry.

Ok, good. Now I don't have to figure out how to put it kindly to my fish that they're blimps. I don't really have any nuisance algae, just the average film algae that you get on the glass (which the tang so kindly takes care of) and a patch of turf algae on one of my rocks that hasn't gotten any bigger.

yea drinking water is a big one and the bulge is actually the food/poop in their little bellies/intestines and once a day is a bit much i feed 2x a week and my fish are awesome

i think its also kind of cute cause my firefish is a pig when i feed and his little belly is bulging after every feeding so he just swims on the bottom and tries not to be noticed

Right. Maybe play some work out videos on the TV across from the tank too :)

Exercise videos for me, or the fish? :p maybe ill make them do p90x. Me and the fish can be workout buddies. Teamwork!

yea drinking water is a big one and the bulge is actually the food/poop in their little bellies/intestines and once a day is a bit much i feed 2x a week and my fish are awesome

I feed everyday mostly for my cbb, but everyone else gets in on his dinner. He doesn't eat enough food at one feeding to last him a few days in between meals. Plus, I can't resist his cute little face when I come home and he's waiting in his corner for his food! Also I just like to put some food in the water for the corals that I'm trying to grow, and I spot feed my acans pretty much daily to try to get some new heads to pop up. Seems like I always have a coral or a fish with its mouth open.

A fat fish is a healthy fish in my opinion.

I have 12ish fish in my 90 and a few, especially my gumdrops, are more active and personable when fed everyday.

I've done the feed two times a week, every other day, and other methods but everyday keeps my tank happy. Not only my fish look happier but my corals are more vibrant....lps and sps.

I just keep up with my water changes and my phosphate is always either .03 or .04 via a Hanna checker. Oh I suppose the massive amount of chaeto in my sump and Fuge has something to do with it.

i also try to maintain a slightly "plumper" fish...it makes me feel better about myself... :)

but with that said, I have a trio of lyretail anthias, they are much more colorful and happier if fed at LEAST once a day (I give them a small amount of pellets in the morning, then the whole tank system (75 dt, 20 frag, 30 sump) gets 1 block of mysis a night)

Yeah I tried feeding every other day and you could tell it just wasn't gonna work for the cbb. He likes to eat smaller amounts of food on a regular basis. So I feed every day again and everything looks great. 0 Ammonia, 0 phosphates and 5 nitrates when I checked a few days ago. I'll have to check again when I do this weeks water change. Water changes are definitely very important, especially when you've got a heavy bioload (like me), and feed every day. The chaeto helps too.

ditto. im at 15 gallons a week change, plus my GFO reactor, my biopellet rector, AND a pre-reactor fuge with a HUGE ball of cheato...

and Im still recovering from a hair algea mis-hap because i didnt change MH bulbs that I watched go red-ish...

anyway, we're getting off topic, but again, i like fat fish!

I'm about to up my water changes to 15 a week from 10 a week just to make sure I keep my water clean as possible. I have a total of 9 fish, but 3 are just teeny little barnacle blennies who also look like they could explode at any minute. Watched one eat an entire frozen pe mysis once... It just sat there with the mysis hanging out of its mouth trying to figure out how it was going to tackle something half its size!

what about lipo?
or a gastric bypass?
My yellow wrasse is fat just after eating and then he hangs out on the couch and falls asleep.
sounds all too familiar...

If your other fishare getting fat because of feeding the cbb i will take the cbb. Im going to be setting up a semi-continues feeder so the cdd will be very happy. And with 20 gal every 5 days water change his water should be pretty clean. So when ever you are ready bring him over. :)

Fat fish are happy fish. I pride myself on the plumpness of my of my family. Feed on fellow fish fattener. Feed on

If your other fishare getting fat because of feeding the cbb i will take the cbb. Im going to be setting up a semi-continues feeder so the cdd will be very happy. And with 20 gal every 5 days water change his water should be pretty clean. So when ever you are ready bring him over. :)

Trying to con me out of my CBB, huh? :p I've wanted one for a LONG time now (Dad wouldn't let me have one when he had his 90 gallon reef years ago) so if all my fish pop from feeding him daily, I guess that's just what I have to deal with :D Although I'm happy to hear that the general consensus is that a fat fish is a happy fish. my kole tang must be ecstatic if that's the case. He's quite rotund.

Back