Mystery crash solved

jovreef

I'm the girl
Found out last night what destroyed my sps collection & almost killed my little clown. A #$^@$% mouse... thats right... a @#$% #$% @#$%@% !@$!@#$ Mouse... it somehow decided it would be fun to take a swim in my sump & apparently got stuck somewhere I could not see when it drowned.

Found the rotten corpse floating in my sump last night :mad:

Apparently softies, LPS & Clams are resiliant against mice.

My guess is it was poisened & jumped in for a drink then drowned. The poisen was released & killed the SPS & made the little clown sick. It was a fresh death at the time so no ammonia was showing up on my test kit.

That little bugger caused me to lose 80% of my sps collection :( I guess I'm going to take some of the screen I acclimated my corals with & put it over the sump so this does not happen again.

I'm gonna let the tank stablize for a few months & re-cycle it's self... then I'll be looking to rebuild my sps... Ugh... makes me wanna cry... I had every single piece I wanted :(

oh yea... and to pour alittle salt on the wound... my clowns are no longer a pair! I separated them when the little one got sick so it could heal... I tried to put them back together & the female beats the crap out of the little one. After all that freakin trouble I had pairing this little clown up in the first place!! UGH!!

This may sound kind of stupid but it worked for me. i took both clowns out and put it into a bucket. drive the little sucker around. i drove around boston for an hour or so. scare the hell out of both of them. then i put them back together. no problem at all. back together as a pair.
hope it help.

Sorry to hear about the problems. It's certainly a new form of reef tank disaster that I'd not previously heard of. It's good to know that you found the reason though.

That does suck. I would be willing to donate some sps frags for your rebuilding efforts once you are ready.

-Brian

guess that's another reason NOT to use rat poison around the house. (not that I needed another)

Holy crow!
This is one for the archives.
Terribly sorry for the losses. Sucks big time.
All because of a thirsty mouse...
Who'd-a-thunk?

Look on the bright side, Jovana...at least it wasn't a kitten in the sump ;)

That is awful, I can snip some acros when you are ready to re-populate

Sorry to hear about all your losses, I never would have thought of that. My sump in the basement is open too. We use the traps because I did not want the poison in the house, but I can remember going to this Old farm house in Vermont they were everywhere. A couple boxes of decon and an couple hours later it was all gone. Guess they get thirsty enough to drink even salt water.

JOV,

Sorry to hear about your losses. List what you have lost, as I would be happy to help out with a donation.

-Joe

This may sound kind of stupid but it worked for me. i took both clowns out and put it into a bucket. drive the little sucker around. i drove around boston for an hour or so. scare the hell out of both of them. then i put them back together. no problem at all. back together as a pair.
hope it help.

Thats pretty funny, because its exactly what they told us to do for the rabbits.

Sorry to hear about the problems. It's certainly a new form of reef tank disaster that I'd not previously heard of. It's good to know that you found the reason though.

Isnt this what Cindy suspects caused her massive problems with shrimp when she brought on her 400gal water tank?

After months of trying to figure it out, she found a dead mouse in her RODI barrel. The theory was that it had eaten insects that had been poisoned before drowning itself.

M.

Yes, I found mouse bones and fur in the bottom of the rodi barrel after my problems with shrimp. I had made a whole bunch of water (400g ) using that barrel as a rodi reservoir and pumping out of it without looking inside.
(Didn't I tell you to put that in one of your articles, Greg :rolleyes: :D )

I'm so glad the little clown made it though. Let them both recover from the incident and then try them together again.

Check out the little guy I just picked up at AA. I was jealous of yours :)

Last edited:
Look on the bright side, Jovana...at least it wasn't a kitten in the sump ;)

That is awful, I can snip some acros when you are ready to re-populate

DOH! I would have torn down the tank if it was a kitten!

I am relieved to know the cause... sucks... but now I know! not knowing was driving me insane & making me want to throw in the towel!

Thank you all who offer frags! your all great

I will try the clown pairing thing! interesting idea! I love both of them & want them paired back up.

I think it deserves to go in an article too! beware of your tank if you use decon in the house!!! dum du duuummmm.

You have pics of your new little guy cindy?!?! Time to browse the forums! I missed that one

Last edited:
Jovana, I would be happy to replace anything you might have gotten from me, or that I might have that you lost. LMK when you are ready and you can come take a look.

oops, picture

Still working on a good shot of him. I can't wait to get the baby skunks backfrom the breeder next weekend.

Attachments

• DSC05697.JPG
    DSC05697.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 231
OHHH very nice! My female looks just like him! If mine wont pair back up lemme know if your looking for a mate... or a male for female trade lol.

I'll Keep you posted once this guy gets out of QT. I have a fish in mind to pair him with, but since I think he is WC and just a day past shipment, I'm not going to get my hopes up with grand plans yet.

Here is a nice turn of events BTW in the last 5 minutes-
touch it , you know you want to...
attachment.php

Tail first, thats good...
attachment.php

There you go, isn't that better?
attachment.php

Ok, no more hijacking. :eek:

Attachments

• DSC05715.JPG
    DSC05715.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC05716.JPG
    DSC05716.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC05722.JPG
    DSC05722.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 237
Holy S..... Dam rodent!!!! That's a first for me as well....With all the losses it sucks but in the same token....finding the reason is great...No secret mystery!!! Next time someone needs help becuase their sps are dying & their fish look sick ....I'm going to say!!!! "check your sump for rodents!!!" ;) Take care!!!

B

Back