Need advice about moving a reef tank

newreefer03

BRS Member
I will be moving in late June early July. The move will be less than a mile away. I have a 72 gal bowfront tank with no sump, only HOB skimmer, refugium, and Penguin powerfilter for carbon/phosban. I have fish, 2 BTAs, SPS, LPS, zoos and other softies. I also have an empty 55 gal tank and an extra skimmer and power filter and refugium. My question is how would you move the tank? Would you just empty the tank of the fish, coral, and LR, then move the tank with just the sand a a little water. Or would you set up the 55 gal tank ahead of time 1 week, then move the livestock and LR only. Then move the 72 gal and gradually transfer the livestock over a couple of weeks. Is it too much stress to move twice? I am kind of leaning towards the 2 part move so it allows me to clean up the equipment on the 72 before transferring it and I am also considering adding a sump/refugium but I worry about the stress of 2 moves. Also would you keep the sand or change the sand during the move? Thanks for any input.

Moderators please move this post to Reeftalk. I mistakenly put this in the equipment sale section. Thanks.

I'm in Norwood and would be willing to help you out if needed. I've moved several tanks in the past. PM me if you need some help.

Edit: The two part method sounds easiest to me FWIW.

Last edited:
The other concern for the 2 part would be lighting as I am currently using 2 250w DE pendants for the 72 bow mounted on a canopy and I have no canopy for the 55. I would have to build some kind of mount or stack up the light on some wood on top of the tank.
Thanks for the offer of help, I may take you up on it.

I've moved more tanks than i care to think about...

Empty water from 72 to 55...at the same time, move the corals and live stock..

Take LR and move it to seperate buckets or bins with some SW. Leave sand in Tank. (make sure you have 4 people :)

Setup tank in new location.

Go back to 55 move water and Livestock in 5gal buckets back to new location. Put everything back in the 72 the way you had it..including water.

Done...Not easy..but simple and you get it done in a day...no midterm plan.

I jsut did a 72 Bow 2 months ago.

I'd move the live rock, water and sand to buckets.

So far, I've moved a 54, a 120, a 90 and a 72 in the last month...

I would keep the sand, in fact, keep everything but 15% of the water.

Clean as needed once it's up in the new place.

Is it drilled and does it have an overflow?

The tank is not reef-ready, all HOB--skimmer, refugium, power filter.

If I keep the sand, I would probably add an additional layer of southdown as the sand that is there is coarse sand from Florida.

I am still undecided as there are benefits with going all at once or in stages.

newreefer03 said:
The tank is not reef-ready, all HOB--skimmer, refugium, power filter.

If I keep the sand, I would probably add an additional layer of southdown as the sand that is there is coarse sand from Florida.

I am still undecided as there are benefits with going all at once or in stages.

Well, no curing required with going all at once.

Back