need advise

ken0504

Non-member
Hi everyone. I need some help, I am set up, 90 gal., 100 lbs. Marco Rock that I have aquascaped, 120 lbs. Marco Sand. I have put raw shrimp in to start the cycle, it has been about 4 days and amon. is going up slowly. My question is should I put some live rock, not much just to seed and sand in now while it is cycling or wait. I plan on going to the meeting on the 23 to meet some of you. I was hoping someone may have some sand and rock for sale. Thanks for any input.

I would get the rock in there and let is go with the cycle. If you add it later, you could start a mini-cycle again. (prob not with dry rock but possible.)

Add the sand after it's rinsed. It'll milky the tank and will settle. Seed it from a healthy live sand bed and add the rock. Let it all cycle. I tried a cycle bacteria I picked up at Jay's. The name escapes me right now. It's on his counter in a purple bottle. It worked when I set up a new refugium and sumps (95 gal) in the basement and ran it for a month testing a few times a week with no spikes. I seeded the sand and added in live rock then added cheato in a month, no problem no spikes. I waited longer, bottle says less. Some will differ on this method and after talking with others about the same method they had all good to say. Or take the regular route....table shrimp and 8 weeks. Best of luck.

Back