need lighting help for my new setup

necco

noob for life
Hi all,

I'm putting together a new 50g tank setup (36x18x18) in the coming weeks and need some help with my lighting. I've been debating over what to use. I plan on keeping mostly SPS with a 4" DSB.

I was thinking about using 2 x 150w DE with 2 x 95w VHO. This was going to be a money saving setup on my g/f nagging electric bill. Now I'm torn, do I need to go 2 x 250w DE for SPS? or will the 150w's be fine? If I have to go 250w I would consider 2 x 39w T-5's, but I really like the look of the VHO's. Input please?

Thanks

The 150's will be more than enough if you are using 10k bulbs. You are only going to have about 14" of water depth to penetrate.

Thats music to my ears Mike thank you! Will I be able to keep SPS at the 14" depth? or will I still need to keep even the lower light corals to the top of the tank?

With a decent bulb you should be able to keep most SPS at the bottom of the tank without problems. Check out Sanjay's par values for different bulbs if you know what ballast you are using
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/
Make sure you choose shielded since you will need the glass shield.

Thanks again, I have that site in my favorites. I was thinking of using the Ushio 10k DE with the Icecap 150w ballast. That combo doesn't seem to be the best, but far from the worst as far as efficiency goes. Any recommendations on a good 10k bulb or ballast? Is PPFD or CCT the PAR rating?

Look at PPFD. FWIW the 175's only run about 10 watts more than the 150's
Ice cap 150W (168W, 52 PPFD)
Ice cap 175W (179W, 63 PPFD)

Might want to look at a few different combinations on bulbs you may be interested in and see which is the best bang for the buck as far as energy consumption vs light output.

hmmm...I was originally thinking of moving to 175w, but I could have sworn I read somwhere (have to find it) that the 150w was better than the 175w for some reason.

Back