Need opnions/experience with possible tank upgrade - Thanks!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I have always wanted a 100G+ tank and I think the time is closer than ever. This would be my third mixed reef tank (first 75G and now a 72G), so I am very excited to get a bigger tank.

I definitely want a Rimless tank. I am between a 100G and a 120G. Thinking of either a 100G (48x24x20) or a 120G (48x30x20).
I feel like 48 inches/4 foot print seems to be the most standard/easiest for most applications/equipment. Also, I can reuse most of my current equipment with the minimal upgrades.

My plan is to build a floating canopy for my light. I think this will give the whole set up a very modern/slick/contemporary look which is what I am looking for.

So my question is;

1- Is one dimension better/worse than the other? Ups and downs from each?

2- Who to order it from?
Lee Mar
Cadlights
DSA
Glasscage

3- Is it worth spending the extra money for Starfire glass?

4- Should I get a stand built or order it with the tank? I wouldn't be able to build it myself, so I need someone locally.

I would really appreciate any input from anyone with experiences with these dimensions and/or who to order it from.

Thanks guys
Higor

Don't know much about big tanks but I would definitely go with the deeper 120g if you can. The deeper the easier to aquascape and gives a great sense of depth and reality. From all the forums I look at it seems starfire is awesome unless the tank is small and the difference is negligible. If you have a good eye and the money then definitely do star fire. Can't say much about the rest but really look forward to seeing how this progresses. Good luck I'm sure it's gonna be awesome, Mike.

i only see one down fall with the 30" depth compared to the 24" is for me at least it would be difficult to reach the bottom without going for a swim or a wet armpit, not sure if that would be a problem for you also but just my opinion, also to go along with height it might be more difficult to light to the bottom and get a good par..
also i would save the money and not get starfire, ive never been able to see a difference in clarity.. plus you could spend the saved money on corals or other equiptment, but like i said its just my .02

i only see one down fall with the 30" depth compared to the 24" is for me at least it would be difficult to reach the bottom without going for a swim or a wet armpit, not sure if that would be a problem for you also but just my opinion, also to go along with height it might be more difficult to light to the bottom and get a good par..
also i would save the money and not get starfire, ive never been able to see a difference in clarity.. plus you could spend the saved money on corals or other equiptment, but like i said its just my .02

Sorry if I wrote the dimensions wrong, but they r both 20" inches deep/height. The only difference is how wide they r. I hear what u say about the depth, and I have taken that into consideration. I think 20" inches depth should give me enough light penetration with out a lot of work.

Thanks
Higor

Higor's EVO 3D

I liked the 4x2x2 dimensions of the 120G I had. As mentioned the extra depth left lots of 'scaping options, and the 24" height meant it wasn't too difficult to get things at the sandbed.

No to mention, looking at the tank from the front, and then from the sides was like looking at a totally different tank.

I liked the 4x2x2 dimensions of the 120G I had. As mentioned the extra depth left lots of 'scaping options, and the 24" height meant it wasn't too difficult to get things at the sandbed.

No to mention, looking at the tank from the front, and then from the sides was like looking at a totally different tank.

Your points are well taken, and the main reasons I arrived at these 2 dimensions.

My question though is; is the extra 6" inches in width and the 20G more water volume between the 100G and 120G tanks (100G (48x24x20) or a 120G (48x30x20)) worth? I am trying to factor in what I will need to upgrade from my current 72G to the new tank.

I want to use my current equipment as much as possible with the new set up. For example, I am thinking I will probably just add another AI Sol panel to my current 2 and call it a day. I will upgrade the skimmer and the sump and eventually swap out my MP10 for another MP40... and so on. Trying to minimize the initial "hit" in the bank as much as possible.

Obviously we always want the “bigger” tank :p, but I am trying to make this decision also based on what I will need to upgrade and what I can reuse from my current equipment.

I think it would help if I saw both these tank sizes in person before I made a decision. I will start looking around if anybody has them.

I would go with the larger footprint if possible. I have a display that is 36" front to back and love it. Going from 24-30" will make a noticable difference. I really like the look of somewhat shallow tanks that have lots of depth and at 20" high and 30" deep, I imagine it would look good.

I also have a starfire front panel and it is a night and day difference looking through that panel vs the others. I think the glass on mine is 1/2" but would have to measure to be sure.

I would go with the larger footprint if possible. I have a display that is 36" front to back and love it. Going from 24-30" will make a noticable difference. I really like the look of somewhat shallow tanks that have lots of depth and at 20" high and 30" deep, I imagine it would look good.

I also have a starfire front panel and it is a night and day difference looking through that panel vs the others. I think the glass on mine is 1/2" but would have to measure to be sure.

Is urs rimless? If yes, who did u order it from?

Thanks
Higor

I would get the 120. I had the 100 and it felt a little thin when it came down to the landscapping. That extra width gives you allot more options for your landscape. Hope that helps, good luck with your build.

I would get the 120. I had the 100 and it felt a little thin when it came down to the landscapping. That extra width gives you allot more options for your landscape. Hope that helps, good luck with your build.

Thanks for the suggestion. Was ur a rimless setup? If yes, where did u get it? I am trying to get some prices on both tanks now, but I would like to hear from first hand experiences dealing with some of the companies that custom build this.

Thanks
Higor

No not rimless.If you have not gone to glasscages.com yet, I suggest you do. You can get a price idea on thier website. You can even customize with estimates of the up grade.

Go with the 30" front to back. You wont regret it.

Im a curious about the floating light. Did you see that somewhere or did you come up with the idea?
How will you keep the water away from the electilricity? It will need to be sealed good but be able to open at least once/year.

What iind of light are you going to use?

I got the idea from a built thread and youtube video I saw while researching both tank's dimensions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZlohe2BEc.

I plan on using my current lighting, which is 2 AI Sols(might end up adding a third panel) w/ T5 supplementation. I have had very good response from my corals since I added the T5s.

Thanks
Higor

Mine is not rimless and was built by glass cages. If going rimless with a design where all the edges are going to be exposed, I would not suggest them as their finish work is hit or miss. They are like 1/2 the price of a lot of the high end manufacturers though so if price is a concern just keep quality in mind.

After pricing out both tank sizes with different custom tank builders and reading a lot of reviews I decided to have a 120G(48x30x20) custom built by Cadlights. They were by far the best price and awesome reviews.

Cadlights120GReeftank_zps79a747d0.jpg

-After reading reviews on custom tank orders on other reef clubs I decided to stay away from Glasscages. Just too many contradicting reviews out there.
-I also checked out "Coast to Coast Aquariums"(Really awesome company and located in New Jersey). They have really good reviews and were very helpfull answering all the questions I had. But it came down to price and they were a lot more than Cadlights for what I wanted.
-Le Mar custom tanks do not sell straight to the consumer and aparently they do not have any dealers here in Mass.

I am waiting for a final quote from Cadlights and hopefully I will be placing the order by next week. They crate everything and deliver it to your door steps for $250. I couldn't find a better deal than that! :)

Right now I am excited and nervous at the same time. Everything in my current tank is doing great and grown into the rocks, so I am kind of nervous about moving everything into the new tank...:confused:

Back