Need to cut acrylic sheets

Armando

v 4.0
I got three acrylic sheets that need to be cut somewhat in the middle, to make baffles. Does anyone know where can I get this done?

When cutting pieces for baffels I always just use a scoring tool then snap it,
The tools are cheap (~$2 HD) I use my 4' level as a straight edge, give 3 or 4 passes with the tool (try to cut through about 50%) then move my level under the sheet right at the edge of the cut, then flex the sheet.......nice clean break every time.
(

I have also done the same as marco67 & stang8s and I have the right bit to do it on my router table. Armando, if you need help doing it let me know and I'll bring my tools.

I thought the knife method would only work for 1/8" sheets. Will this also work for 1/4" sheets like the ones I have?

It does work armando, I have done it. Honestly, I don't know if it is just as easy as "snap" though. Its definitely more effort than say, a power saw :D

The scoring tool absoultly works with 1/4" I'm not sure about the utility knife. It's actually more accurate and easier then using a table saw, believe me I've done both!

I have a small jigsaw, and i am planning to get a table to make the saw more useful (like cut straight for example :D) However... i have no space for a table. Are those foldable ones at HD any good? Any recommendations?

Marco i'll definitely give it a try with a scoring tool. For these pieces it would be the easiest (I mean, the easiest is to drive up to Nate but he's already building my Calcium Reactor so I don't want to ask for this also :D)

Armando,
You can cut a straight line easy enough with a jig saw. Just get yourself a pair of strong clamps and clamp a straight edge in place as a guide to run the saw along. The problem with cutting acrylic with a jig saw is the blade will heat and melt the acrylic. If you use to fine a blade the cut will "heal" it's self right behind you to coarse...chipping and a lousy cut. all in all not a great choice.

Marco well said. When I tried to cut acrylic with the saw in the past I always ended up with a coarse edge, no matter which saw I used.

yeah, in my experience any saw will leave a fairly rough edge. If you want it smooth like that square I gave you armando, you have to run the edges over a jointer, or trim it with a router.

Nate

Back