New Filter Sock Skimmer Explosion

daves-reef

Non-member
I just tried changing my filter sock with a brand new one. All of a sudden my skimmer started too explode with foam. Looks like soap bubbles :eek: .
Hopefully it just something harmless that drove the skimmer crazy. It also caused a bunch of stinky skimate to go back into the sump. As soon as I noticed it I turned of the skimmer and return pump. Pulled out the new sock. Right know I have the skimmer going and the return pump circulating just in the sump. Hopefully the skimmer and carbon can pull out anything that might have come out of the sock. I let it run until skimmer starts looking normal again. Then change the carbon. I should know better but another lesson learned. I won’t ever try using a new filter sock again until I wash it first.

Dave

yeah...they need to be rinsed, then soaked in RODI water. the ones I bought at CRA actually had a tag that said rinse before using.....

the carbon and wet skimming should help you get the crap out of the water.

i usually bleach them in the washing machine.. then a rinse cycle with amquel.. tell you what.. you only do that once when the skimmer freaks!

Now I expect it after the first few times and usually shut down the skimmer for a few hours. I'll have to try the Amquel, now that's got me curious.

I have done this and I just shut down the skimmer no ill effects except the extra skimmate. Now I just turn the skimmer off when I buy a new one.

yeah...they need to be rinsed, then soaked in RODI water. the ones I bought at CRA actually had a tag that said rinse before using.....

i soak mine in rodi. learned my lesson the hard way as well

Skimmer has some what calmed down. I have the gate valve full open but it is working. Bubles are just to the top of the neck now. I would assume that over time I will need to close it some again.

Not trying to hijack but may i ask where or how you folks attach these filter socks? I am trying to polish my water and was just wondering.

I soak mine in Ro and still get a little crazy action with the skimmer for about a half hour. I just shut it off and then start it up later.

Back