New frag .Any ideas on an ID

>I think i just wet myself<

Chair-Fall.gif
It's still doing okay for me. A long while back I had the colony receed for a while. There was a HUGE forest of green and orange M. digitata upstream from the colony and after I pulled all the digitata out the colony perked up. I cannot say for certain whether that was the reason. I'd never thought of digitata putting out a lot of toxins, but there was A LOT of digitata! Too bad the Acro colony grows so slowly.

>Greg, do you know the name of this?<

Yeah, purple with green polyps Acropora.
Grin-Nod.gif

I have no idea of id. I leave that to the experts (probably a dozen in the world). I still hold to my opinion that only in very limited cases is it really possible to positively id an Acropora to species level, particularly without knowing what locality it was collected, and under what conditions was it growing. It is fun to guess though.

Greg I hope in your fit of laughter you didn't really fall and hurt yourself...standby for email to the shameless commerce division..LOL...and I agree with you 110% on the ID thing, I look at new stuff that comes in all the time to my LFS and even know (to some extent) where it was harvested, and still can't ID most ACROs, maybe get it down to 3-4 but that is about it...and once it has spent sometime out of the wild...forget it...different flow/nutrients/light/etc etc and they grow different too...

I figure you just find the rarest one and call it that...or blend a name together of the 3 it looks like and call it super duper rare!!! JK

Jason

Hey bec here's some pics.The first one is when i got it about 3 months ago.The second is now ,sorry its a bit blurry its way back in the tank and tough to get a pic.
-Liam.

Attachments

• DSCF0393 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0393 (Small).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 148
Wow... how nice is that?!

That's a coral I call "Aqua w/purple/blue tips Acro," originally from Greg's collection. No guesses on i.d that I know of. I got my original frag from him something like 3 years ago now, and it grew into an incredibly huge colony that kind of overtook the center of my tank. I pulled that colony and am starting another one in a different location in the reef... with close attention to pruning before it takes off this time. Mine had blue tips sometimes, and purple tips sometimes.
Nice work. Good luck with that one.

b

Sorry for the lousy pic,will try for a better one,mine has always had blue tips so far,they extend further than the picture shows,seems like a fast grower like you say though.

Your photo is fine. I recognized that coral immediately.
Yes... very fast grower. I think I overlooked how much I liked that coral
because it was so easy to grow... like a weed... no heavy lifting. As opposed to other acros I pray over for months/years for any change at all. Hell... I finally decided there's no shame in not getting gray hairs over SPS once in a while for goodness sakes! That coral is coming back to my tank because it's spectacular in color! Mine didn't develop the sometimes-purple tips until the colony was quite large... for whatever that's worth.

Again, good luck with that one, and like Greg warned me at the begining... give it plenty of lateral space. It actualy grows sideways at a faster rate than it grows upwards.

b

>I figure you just find the rarest one and call it that...or blend a name together of the 3 it looks like and call it super duper rare<

Hey...that's a great idea!!

FWIW, the Aqua with blue tips Acorpora superrarus was the coral that I got the 'red bugs' from so long ago. It was very slightly infected, but the bugs found lots of stuff in my frag tanks back then that they liked better. RIP bugs
BlowUp.gif

BTW, sorry about screwing up the width of the thread!! :eek:

Liam, the one you got was a Marshall Island assorted Acropora. No idea at this point on an ID, let's try and re-ID this one in about 6 months to a year. :) lol

-B-

Last edited:
Back