New Setup / HlpTips would help out!!

tonyspo

Tonyspo
BRS Member
this is a 25 gal. hex tank with 2 nice powerheads, a nice heater a nice pump, with a hommade 'refusiom tank' made out of acrylic. It does its job thats for sure. With a nice protein skimmer...

Its been going solid for about 2-3 weeks, and I gave it the half time solution, to shorten starting process. Last 2 -3 water tests, ph, amonia, nitrite, nitrate, and they've all been right on. I started with some 'live' rock, and some dead.

In the refusiom, I have a filter system with 1 section polyester, 1 with carbon fiber that I started with. ....Ohh and I just bought the PURA Phosloc which ill put in this week.........How long do you think I should wait before I start adding some frags and fish to see how startup goes?

Any thoughts/suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated and am somewhat of a starter...

I'm no expert on this (setting up my first tank myself), but I suspect if you already had your ammonia spike.. and are now down to ~0 ammonia ~0 nitrites, and are seeing acceptable levels of nitrates and phosphates (keeping low with water changes), then you may be good.

Do you have a snail/hermit cleaning crew in place? If params seem stable, start out with a couple hardy cycler fish. A couple green chromis for example. Maybe a clown or two (?).

Others may chime in with better suggestions. Heck, I have yet to get my tank running. ;P

if it has been going for 3 weeks, I would wait another week then if the tests are still reading zero, you can try putting in a durable fish. I would throw in a clean up crew first. Then wait a week or two and if readings are still good, add a fish. Make sure that you have all your rock etc. in as adding anything new to the tank could cause a spike.

I would wait longer for corals. Some durable corals can be placed in newer tanks but many, such as alot of SPS, require older tanks. Sometimes a year or more.

What do you have an your refugium? Filters and the such are often detrius magnets and will make the water quality worse if you don't clean them regularly. Most people don't run any filters or anything other then a filter sock (cleaned regularly) and their live rock. I don't even run a filter sock. depending on what is in your fuge, you may need to ditch some of it in the future.

Last edited:
I would wait longer for corals. Some durable corals can be placed in newer tanks but many, such as alot of SPS, require older tanks. Sometimes a year or more.

+1
Taking your time in setting things up is the biggest reward for all reefers. You add things to quick and all h@ll breaks lose.

Back