Newbie here upgrading a 10 gallon to my 55 looking for a little direction.

iammitch3479

Non-member
So I have a 10 gallon right now and I am hoping to upgrade that since I landed a full time paid internship (I am a college student) and I have no idea what I am doing. Right now I don't have any filter or skimmer or anything but power heads and a HOB filter from freshwater (just for flow). I am hoping to turn the 10 gallon into a simple sump just with a sock, skimmer and return. A wonderful display tank at my lfs has this simple setup and it looks gorgeous so it is possible. I just don't know where to start supplies/items.

The following topics of discussion/suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

starting from the tank and working our way through the sump

1) how to plumb it (not drilling the tank)
2) size/model protein skimmer needed (cheap price under 150 hopefully)
3) if the 10 gallon is enough of a sump for this simple design
4) size/model of the return pump

Bonus Here's a picture of the setup i am modeling mine after

http://imgur.com/a/72Gc6

Double Bonus! My tank now

http://imgur.com/LOjDmEo

THANK YOU GUYS!

Well the tank I have isn't quiet like that but will allow you to do 2 tanks at the same time . Like LPS on one side and SPS on another . Tell Johnny we said hello .
I couldn't upload to this site so I put it on your FB

Well the tank I have isn't quiet like that but will allow you to do 2 tanks at the same time . Like LPS on one side and SPS on another . Tell Johnny we said hello .
I couldn't upload to this site so I put it on your FB

yeah that's as good idea, I mean I'm a little noobish to have sps at the moment but in the future its possible.

Hello good move on upgrading from the ten addicting ain't it? If I were to make one suggestion from personal experience skip the 55 you'll only want upgrade down the road. 55 is 48x12 if I remember that twelve inches is going to kill you trust me. You want depth for aquascaping you are very limited with only the.foot. this is what eventually happened to me and caused my upgrade to a 75. Shoot I got a clam right now that would not even fit in my old 55. Good luck with everything need any specific help let me know

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Hello good move on upgrading from the ten addicting ain't it? If I were to make one suggestion from personal experience skip the 55 you'll only want upgrade down the road. 55 is 48x12 if I remember that twelve inches is going to kill you trust me. You want depth for aquascaping you are very limited with only the.foot. this is what eventually happened to me and caused my upgrade to a 75. Shoot I got a clam right now that would not even fit in my old 55. Good luck with everything need any specific help let me know

I second that, just get a 75G! U want regret it...

On another note, Welcome back Owen... We missed u bro!

Higor

Go for the deeper tank per the above reasons.

You are going to want a larger sump as well. Then you can maybe fit your skimmer in the sump to eliminate so much hanging off the back of the tank... based on the comment you do not want to drill the tank.

Wait to know which direction you are going in size before purchasing a skimmer.

Good Luck and welcome back!

Congrats and skip the 55g. I've had one and te dimensions are aweful. I'd go for a 40breeder or a 75 standard. Find someone local and go check out there setups. It's always good to see things first hand an also check out build threads on here.

Oh man that's pretty cool you could said up each side to a specific eco system

Back