NP Biopellets on a New Tank and Cycling Question

Andy V

Non-member
I recently moved and I have my old tank on a temporary stand, and set up a new display tank in its permanent location. I bought Live Rock from Jay's which I fully cured in a seperate bucket.

I took the new (cured) rock and put it in the new display tank, and used brand new live sand as well. Then I used 10 gallons of water from my established tank, and 20 gallons of fresh mixed water (total system is 30 gallons). I have a MJ 1200 for flow and a heater in the new display tank. I have no light or skimmer on the new tank. So a few questions:

1) Do I need to create an ammonia spike? I have added a few cubes of mysis and some Formula Two over the last couple days and I am not getting a spike. Does this mean I am good to go (slowly), or do I just need to add more food to spike it? There is no livestock in the tank.

2) If I am not good to go, do I HAVE to have a light on the tank? There appears to be a small amount of coralline on the rocks already. Also, do I HAVE to have a skimmer?

3) I purchased a dual BRS reactor, and I was planning on running GFO and NP Biopellets. Should I add those now or wait a bit?

4) If I am ready to add livestock, should I go CUC first, then a fish or two, and then corals? Do the fish need a light? I ask because I only have one light and the corals in the established tank obviously need that.

Thanks!

Back