Obtaining live mysid shrimp quickly, & preferably locally for feeding cuttlefish fry?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
So the LFS I volunteer at foolish ordered live cuttlefish eggs without knowing a darn thing about them, as well as a live octopus (small and white/grey) which also laid eggs in a separate tank, and now we are in dire need of live mysid shrimp to feed the babies once they hatch. Unfortunately, none of our supplies offer live mysid, just eggs (go figure right?) sooo now I feel personally responsible to raise both, and have no clue where to get live mysid aside from online on Live Aquaria or something but i'm not about to pay premium price plus high shipping rate for a few hundred i'll only need to feed out for a few weeks.

Anyone know where I can get them, or even, anything else I could possibly feed baby cuttlefish and octopus? They should be hatching later this week or early next week, and the octopus eggs soon after.

Well the owner decided to take the eggs to a school today to show the kids and separated them from the octopus so I have the feeling they won't survive. I really hate when inexperienced people do stupid things with animals. Fingers crossed for the best with all of this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Roger Williams University's aquaculture program has raised cuttlefish from eggs. You may want to contact them?

Hopefully I can talk the owner into that. Idk if he's gonna wanna hear it cuz he's super stubborn.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373931118.840061.jpg Animal instincts in Fall River has mysis or they used to have them live

That's the store I volunteer at. Lol. No live mysis. And I'm talking mysid. Not the same as mysis. :)

That's the store I volunteer at. Lol. No live mysis. And I'm talking mysid. Not the same as mysis. :)

Mysidae is a family of shrimp and the members are all called mysids. Mysis is a genus of shrimp within the family. There are FW and SW members of both groups. As far as the hobby is concerned, they're the same animals.

There's FW and SW of both groups? I had always thought mysis were strictly FW shrimp. I was saying mysid because the cuttlefish seem to take best to the SW family of mysids which I did think mysis were.
Hmm... I wonder if MAYBE I can thaw out frozen mysis in warm water to make it look like the shrimp have body heat and then put a flow to make them look like their swimming and trick the cuttles.

And yeah I talked to Rick to see if Ocean Explorium had any and he's gonna get back to me. IDK the owner of the LFS is on my s**t list right now so I may not even bother trying to help at all.

I know I know, =) I just get really frustrated with this guy because he ALWAYS orders stuff that will never make it in captivity or atleast at our LFS like scooters and pipefish when we have no pods to fee dor virtually any in our systems.
Or corals that are non-photosynthetic without food for them. Or african starfish that eat everything. Or a frag tank with crap lights. Every tank having crap parameters. Selling fish that live in a 1.018 salinity without telling customers to acclimate them accordingly. Or buying a 10 inch long sweetlips. IDK the guy just doesn't think.

I am set up for raising cuttles and mysid, my last atempt failed because my mysid culture was full of hydroids and most of my cuttle eggs wer infertile, I lost my only survivor but I was planning to order some more eggs this weak from ny aquitcs and I have no problem ordering mysids to feed them how much are the eggs?
and for how many, how big are they now?

as for the octo eggs, small egg species have never been hatched in captivity and large egg species(like the size of cuttlefish eggs) have only been hatched twice by tonmo members

Yeah these are small egg species so I myself after having done some research also don't plan on those hatching. I don't even know if they're fertilized as the octopus was by herself when she laid them and I know only a few species can do both.
And yeah I knew about the mother dying when the eggs hatch. Told them that. They said they'll see how it goes. Which I already know the outcome. We didn't buy her knowing she was pregnant though so that wasn't actually his mistake thankfully.

The cuttle eggs are the black ones, not the pygmy s. bandesis so they are about the size of wild grapes right now. A bit bigger than a gobstopper candy. There's atleast half a dozen. I'll be there this Saturday and if they still haven't hatched yet I will take photos.

We can order you a cluster. Read the PM I sent as Quality Marine AFAIK haven't sold out of the clusters yet but they do not supply mysid.

If you do manage to successfully hatch and raise even one or two, please make a thread on here about it as they are one of my favorite animals and i'd have a blast following their growth!

so the eggs are from a "black" cuttle fish or are the eggs black?, s. brandesis eggs are black and about the size of small grapes until their ready to hatch they become transparent around the last weak or 2

The eggs are black. To my knowledge they are orange/brown cuttles.
The eggs look exactly like this:
cuttlefisheggs_39196.jpg

As soon as they start to lighten in color i'm going to shine a light to lightly illuminate the inside of the eggs to see if any embryos are active or not.

Last edited:
those look exactly like s.brandesis eggs but I've never seen eggs from any other species so I have nothing else to compare them to, if I remember right gobstoper candys are almost as big as a golf ball and that's definetly to big for brandisis eggs, if they are slightly bigger than a marble they could be brandisis
I've never heard of black, orange or brown used to describe any cuttle species but I know that brandisis is capable of displaying these colors, even the hatchling I had would turn a redish brown color when it was hiding in the red macros I put in his tank.
the cloudy looking egg on the bottom left of the pic is what most of my infertile eggs looked like but that doesn't mean their all bad one cluster can have eggs from several females
the best source I've used for Mysis is sachs aquaculture

Nope not the size of a golfball. I'd say the size of a penny in diameter. Slightly wider. Yeah slightly bigger than a marble.
We were told by QM the majority of people who've ordered and had them hatch last year ended up with the larger species and they expect this year to be the same but cannot guarantee it so I am going on that too.
But yeah IDK enough to say they're not s bandesis, just going by what the sales rep said saying she doesn't think they are but she too said they could be a mixed batch as there's one connected cluster and a few strays.

Back