Obtaining live mysid shrimp quickly, & preferably locally for feeding cuttlefish fry?

Cruel game in my eyes.... even the octo that just layed eggs is going to die very soon.. these animals should never be allowed in a tank other then research there life span is to short.. Best chance is pe mysis and live brine... summer is also a little warm for these animals lol....

i think your way off here spaceman, one year is the natural lifespan for most species of octo weather in the wild or a tank and they always die shortly after the eggs hatch more often she is killed and eaten trying to protect her eggs from preditors. in the wild most die much sooner since they are prey for almost everything in the ocean.whats more when octos die of old age(senescence) in the wild they slowly loose motor contrlole and eyesight and become paralyzed then they are slowly eaten alive by crabs, thats what I call a crule death, at least in a tank a responsible owner can put the octo out of it's misery in a humane way
the octos that I have kept lived happy well fed lives with nothing trying to eat them and even began to desire human contact, coming out to play a game of tag whenever hands come into the tank or dancing on the glass to get attention.
it's obvious you don't know much about them because if you did you would know that pe Mysis is to big and dead for babby cuttles and brine shrimp is useless because it has no nutritional value for them so maybe you should not be instructing others in their care. also these are tropical animals so keeping them in the summer is no different then keeping any other reef animal.
and if you going to preach about the cruelty of keeping animals to others the first thing you should do is go shut down YOUR tank!

Iam with space man on this one only professional facilities should have these ...animal instincts is not that at all ...and I still think that getting eating by a crab is in the wild if far better than someone smacking it in the head with something when they think it time for it to call it quits ...

i think your way off here spaceman, one year is the natural lifespan for most species of octo weather in the wild or a tank and they always die shortly after the eggs hatch more often she is killed and eaten trying to protect her eggs from preditors. in the wild most die much sooner since they are prey for almost everything in the ocean.whats more when octos die of old age(senescence) in the wild they slowly loose motor contrlole and eyesight and become paralyzed then they are slowly eaten alive by crabs, thats what I call a crule death, at least in a tank a responsible owner can put the octo out of it's misery in a humane way
the octos that I have kept lived happy well fed lives with nothing trying to eat them and even began to desire human contact, coming out to play a game of tag whenever hands come into the tank or dancing on the glass to get attention.
it's obvious you don't know much about them because if you did you would know that pe Mysis is to big and dead for babby cuttles and brine shrimp is useless because it has no nutritional value for them so maybe you should not be instructing others in their care. also these are tropical animals so keeping them in the summer is no different then keeping any other reef animal.
and if you going to preach about the cruelty of keeping animals to others the first thing you should do is go shut down YOUR tank!

Ok Wow!!!! Thats a little over the line!!! i really dont know where to start.... these animals are colder water animals so summer his harder on them unless you have a chiller bimacs like mid 60s so no not good in a hobby reef!!! and getting any food in the animal is better then none and gut loading the brine will do better then flake!!!!i have worked foir 4 fish store and all of them ordered octo and killed them only seen a hand full acually have the set up they deserve!!! this is one of reasons i mabe this back to a hobby!!!

bimacs are also a large egg species and he already stated he has small eggs so once again you are wrong,not to mention that California bimacs are amlmost imposible to get now that California has made a ban on their comershal collection and export no coincidence that every store you worked at had their octos die you realy don't have a clue and should not be adviseing anyone, just because you know the name of one species and work at a pet store doesn't make it ok for you to give bad information. every credible article written on raising cuttles states that trying to keep them alive on brine gut loaded or not is nothing but slow starvation and that Mysis and anthripods are the only viable foods for hatchlings and most pods are to big and fast for newborns
I never told anyone to feed them flake

Look like ur a litlle sensitve to octos and expecilly cuddle fish!! sorry buddy for writting bimac meant octo but way past point now !! i Just dont think a animal with that short of a life is good in a hobby tank... Looks like california caught on to what makes sense!!!!

Just trying to let u know STiTCH87 gut loaded brine hermits ghost shrimp and frozen mysis would be my attack on feeding also lower temp... But Guess thats my opinion and i could be wrong....

not sensitive I just know the facts and I think it sucks that most of these animals die because of someone like you giving out bad information

WTH happened while I was gone?! Lol!!!

Seriously guys, enough of this. The people buying animals they shouldn't are the ones to argue with, not with each other.

Some of the eggs hatched today! There's 2 live babies as we speak! Cutest f*#$'N things I've ever seen!!! Wouldn't eat any frozen mysis thawed in hot water tonight. Gonna try nutramar ova and live phytoplankton tomorrow in hopes of better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I brought by some live brine by a.I. today and they seem to be eating it :) ...I know its not the best possible option but its what I had on hand ..hope for the best !!!

Thanks again for the brine Rick! They seem fairly happy. There's 6 of them hatched now which is a great turn out. Still quite a few eggs to hatch too. Added some shade and sand to one side of the makeshift hang on refugium they're in and they instantly went over and dug and played in the sand then all 6 layer down and now they just sit around on the sand hanging out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There was for about 3 days but they all ended up dying as we didn't get mysid in time to feed them. =/ That's what happens when I let the boss do orders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Back