Oct. Meeting: Nutrient Control and Export w/ Mr. Scott Fellman

jason401

Non-member
The next BRS meeting will be held Sunday, Oct 20th, 2013

Our Speaker will be Mr. Scott Fellman, discussing "Nutrient Control and Export”

ScottFellman.jpg

“Nutrient Control and Export”- Ways to increase water quality and Eliminate Nuisance Algae”- There are a lot of different ways that you can achieve and maintain high water quality. We’ll examine a number of methods that can help create sparkling clear water and ideal conditions for your aquarium inhabitants. Whether you’re a veteran hobbyist needing a refresher, or a total newbie trying to achieve great water quality- this presentation has a little something for everyone- and does it with the typical heightened sense of absurdity that you’ve come to expect from me!

Scott's Bio:

My name is Scott Fellman, and I’m the consummate “fish nerd”! I bleed saltwater! And yes, I think there’s a lot of freshwater in there, too!

Much of my life centers around tweaking protein skimmers, scraping algae, cleaning up spills, or figuring out how to unglue my fingers. I’ve been keeping marine aquariums since I was a kid, and during that time, I have maintained all sorts of aquariums, fish bowls, plastic boxes, and just about anything that can hold water. My passions are aquascaping and marine biotope aquariums. I love this hobby and the crazy people in it!

I’ve mentored fellow hobbyists for over ten years, starting on Bob Fenner’s WetWebMedia.com site, where I was also Co-Editor of WWM’s Conscientious Aquarist online magazine for a couple of years. In 2006, I served as president the Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County.

I’ve written a number of articles for publications such as the late Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine, Ultramarine UK, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Marine Fish and Reef USA Annual, and many online venues, such as Reef Addicts, Advanced Aquarist, and Reefs.com, and Reef Builders, where I blog on a variety of reef-related topics from time to time.

In addition to my writing, I have racked up the frequent-flyer miles, traveling all over the U.S. and internationally, speaking at clubs and events about all sorts of reef-and aquarium-related stuff. I have presented at MACNA XIX in Pittsburgh, MACNA XX in Atlanta, MACNA xXI in Atlantic City, MACNA XXII in Orlando, MACNA XXIII in Des Moines, MACNA XXIV in Dallas, MACNA XXV in Florida, as well the old IMAC Conferences in both Chicago and Long Beach. I’ve spoken several times at Reef-a-Palooza in my native So Cal, as well. I keep threatening to complete a book on marine biotope aquaria and aquascaping before this century is over, and I’m sure my aquarium is due for a water change at some point!

I am partner in a Los Angeles-based online marine livestock retailer, Unique Corals, marketing sustainably collected, aquacultured, and captive propagated corals, fishes, and invertebrates to the hobby.

When I’m not trying to replicate the ocean in my aquariums, I’m usually surfing in it at my local beach, dining at new restaurants (another great love), watching ice hockey, or SCUBA diving.

Meeting schedule: Noon - 4pm
12:00-12:30 Meet & Greet /Membership Registration/Group Buy Pick-up/Official BRS Contestant Winners Anounced
12:30-1:00 Q&A if interest (Psst! Old school reefers, civic duty calls!)
1:15:-2:15 Speaker presentation
2:15-2:45 Food, raffle
2:45-4:00 on Fragswap mayhem/socializing/meeting cleanup

25 Low St Newburyport, MA 01950
(978) 465-3721

Directions

There will be a raffle, and items will be posted below

Figures sounds really good but 1hr 42 min away

Plan accordingly and shoot for at least the speaker portion. Make a day of it and hit some of the LFS. Shopping malls on the way to keep others busy while your at the meeting or even a nice dinner in Newburyport overlooking the water.

When there is a will there is a way... There is always room for jello

See you there as it will be worth the trip.

Finally one not too far for me, now I just got to let work know I am feeling sick that day and cant make it in..lol

Fellman is great! I've read a ton of his articles, wish the meeting was closer should be a good one!

This one is a lot closer to me !! Plus the topic is one I want to hear a lot about. So I will for sure be at this one too!! See you guys there

YARD SALE TABLES

Two available, first come first serve. Sell w/e you want on the table. Dry goods, eqpt, set up a small frag tank, fish.

Please pm me regarding reservation.

Thank you :D

Yard Sale table

We are getting a table at the Oct 20th meeting. YES, The Basement will have some room.... Now if I can get Bob to sell what I have pulled out ;)
Looks like we may have (if I get my way) lights, skimmers, HOB and in sump. Some controller looking things, rock, Tank glass covers, bulbs, a couple smallish not RR tanks, small heaters, and small pumps. Now lets see what he will actually part with. LOL

Might as well continue with the gift card movement :D.

Scott will be bringing a couple of gift cards to used on his site Unique Corals. Thanks Scott!

Unique Corals Banner.png

Don't worry, we'll have plenty of other things to go along with the wonderful gift cards ;)

Back