OH NO!!! Zoa eating ...

RayD

The Chicago Experience!
Yellow Tang. That's right you heard right. :D My very own Zoa eating YT!

I brought home a whole bunch of Zoas last week. Some Bam Bams, GI Joes, a ton of nice Zoas. So every single colony and frag was dipped and closely inspected before entering the display. Now the interesting part.

I took a frag of Pinkies (about 25 polpys) and glued it to a frag disc. My Yellow Tang was picking and eating at that frag for a couple of days until it completely decimated the frag. Now mind you I have hundreds of Zoas and never had this problem. The frag was unattached.

Something about that particular frag struck his fancy. He hasn't touched any of my other Zoas since destroying the pinks. Go figure. :eek:

I know you said you have hundreds of zoas but how about pink ones, you know pink is in.

I know how you feel. I just got a bunch of zoas from Reefermedic in a trade. I bring them home and they did fantstic for three days. That is until my Chrysurus Angel decided he wanted to eat them ALL! I thought these weren't supposed to taste good, ha.
Oh well at least he doesn't touch leather corals. Guess I'll stick with those, lol

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I just got a bunch of zoas from Reefermedic in a trade. I bring them home and they did fantstic for three days. That is until my Chrysurus Angel decided he wanted to eat them ALL! I thought these weren't supposed to taste good, ha.
Oh well at least he doesn't touch leather corals. Guess I'll stick with those, lol

LMK if you saw something else you want to try. Maybe a couple of those hairy mushrooms.

LMK if you saw something else you want to try. Maybe a couple of those hairy mushrooms.

Thanks man. They were doing awesome and I was psyched. Even the ones you said may take a couple days to open, opened right up the next day. But, this little bast*** decided they looked too good to pass up. Oh well, no biggie. I'll keep the mushrooms in mind. He doesn't touch the two that are in there now so he may be good with those.

If anyone has a fish or ANYTHING that eats the Hairy Mushrooms let me know too. They grow and spread way too fast! :)

zoa eaters

My Sohol has eaten fresh cut frags of Tub's Blues in the past. It won't go after them unless it's a fresh cut frag.

I had a Blue Velvet Damselfish that did the same exact thing with fresh cut zoa frags only. Anything new put into the tank he would go after.

YT & Foxface are conspecifics - wonder if they are distantly related. Foxface "nips" at soft corals when it isnt getting the proper balance of shrimp & nori.

Back