ORANGE BACK WRASSE questions on survival rate.......

jdemarco

Non-member
I just recently made my 4th and last unsuccessful attempt at bringing in an orange back wrasse to my system. This was my 4th attempt in the last 3 years (I was 0-for -3 and against my better judgement my impulses got the best of me and i grabbed a large, good looking specimen from LFS). In this particular tank I have red velvet wrasse(s), pair of male/female bipart leopards, midas blenny, clowns and a few tangs in this tank. I have similar stock but "more of" in the bigger tank on same system. I have always had fairy wrasses and for some reason, i cant get an orange back to survive past the first week. I have tried in both of my display tanks which have peaceful wrasses and tangs and I have failed for the 4th time, do I am done!!!. Like all previous, he was eating aggressively as LFS, and seemed he was doing well and eating right away in my tank for the first 48 hours. Like all previous he did his usual and went down into a small cave at night and coccoon themselves in "slime". I'm not sure if its something in my water column, or the stress of tank transfers (both before and/or during my possssion) Everything I have read calls them "easy" but experience says something totally different and i will also at this time like to share a conversation I had with another LFS owner after i lost my first two( back a few years ago) That other LFS owner told me that their survival rate in shipping and acclimating has gone way way down in his experience....hmm interesting. So I would love to hear other peoples experience with bringing these fish in within the last few years, and would love to hear how it has gone in your experience RELATIVE to bringing other fish in during the same time period.
Any an all experiences would be helpful to gauge recent success rates with this beautiful fish....PLEASE DO SHARE...thanks for reading.......

Last call to see if anyone is successfully keeping (or not) any orange back wrasses. Any and all experiences would be helpful to share and would be spprecuated. Not a rare fish so who has and/or who had ?

I don't have any experience of the particular fairy wrasse you requested info but I've kept other fairy wrasses like hooded wrasse and pintail wrasse. The issue I have with them is mainly jumping out of the tank. My pintail fairy wrasse just suddenly died. I'm not sure what's the cause but I read the average lifespan on these fairy wrasse is anywhere from 2-5 years. That's a little too short for me.
You can find more info on Reef Central reef fish section of the forum.

Old thread but same question still... anyone here have any good survival story (or bad for that matter) with the Orangeback wrasse? Pls share

Back