Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DylanCameron

Treasurer/BOD 2023
I'm curious how many of you reefers are doing some form of carbon dosing. We're talking vodka / vinegar / sugar, bio pellets, or any other commercial organic carbon additive. How much do you dose, how have your nutrients changed, have you had any bad experiences, etc. Let's hear it!

I'll start - 10g tank, minimal corals (a handful of zoas/palys, one nem, and two shrooms), 2 fish, and I do not carbon dose. I'm currently relying on water changes to handle nutrients. I used to dose vodka when I had an 80g set up, but I have little to no data from that tank, lol! I think on a tank this small it's really easy to maintain lower nutrients using mechanical/chemical filtration (via a filter caddy that has floss and ROX carbon) and water changes. I'm planning a 35gal build, and I'll probably end up using this DIY NOPOX recipe if needed.

I am using a small amount of Tropic Marin ElimiNP daily on my 70g. I had an extra head on my doser and it helps keeps the nutrients in check I think. Only like 2ml daily. When I got anthias and increased my feeding I found the nutrients starting to rise and this helped.
Blue Pic with Orange Filter
1000002703.jpg

I started with NoPox. It did wonders for my No3 but did little to my Po4. Only Rowaphos helped. After a couple of bottles I tried Elimi-NP and now im using NP Bacto Balance. Still use Rowaphos and dose 5ml of NP Bacto Balance in a 125 mixed reef.

I just do water changes on my 32 gallon tanks, but I run Red Sea NoPox on my 93 gallon tank. I run around 5 ml per day, but have had to go down in the past due to nitrates almost bottoming out.

I recently used vinegar dosing to get rid of an algae outbreak. I have used it on and off over the last 10 years to lower nutrients. Works best at 1 ml vinegar per 2 gallons tank volume. I think it is the easiest and most effective way of lowering Phosphate and nitrate
. I even starved out dinos using it, which I think says something about how potent it is. But, I only use it if I am having severe algae issues, because lowering nutrients also starves corals.

I recently used vinegar dosing to get rid of an algae outbreak. I have used it on and off over the last 10 years to lower nutrients. Works best at 1 ml vinegar per 2 gallons tank volume. I think it is the easiest and most effective way of lowering Phosphate and nitrate
. I even starved out dinos using it, which I think says something about how potent it is. But, I only use it if I am having severe algae issues, because lowering nutrients also starves corals.
Why not just reduce your dosage? I agree that corals need nutrients, but you can always dial back your vinegar dosing once nutrients are lowered to a satisfactory level. I definitely wouldn’t recommend this unless you’re regularly testing N and P, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find a maintenance dosage

Why not just reduce your dosage? I agree that corals need nutrients, but you can always dial back your vinegar dosing once nutrients are lowered to a satisfactory level. I definitely wouldn’t recommend this unless you’re regularly testing N and P, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find a maintenance dosage
Yeah, I reduce dosage after the algae goes away. But after nutrients become undetectable and the algae fades away, then I have to start increasing nutrients again, so the corals can get healthy. At the level of feeding that I do, which is adequate but probably a little below average compared to others on this site, I have had to reduce vinegar dosing to zero see the nutrients start to increase again. I think for people that feed heavily, a constant, low level of vinegar dosing might be helpful for nutrient maintenance.

I employed carbon dosing (vinegar) for some time in the past . My experience seems to fall in line with a lot of the “newer” thinking that’s become prevalent in last several years, but that’s my subjective take on it , so take my words with a grain of salt.

Past goal- management nutrients with moderate carbon dosing in hopes of achieving a good looking and healthy tank, while minimizing reliance on GFO and other additional nutrient reduction efforts.

Past outcome- tank seemed good. Ongoing battles with limited nuisance algaes, never completely overwhelmed but never free of nuisance growth. Good coral growth, colors looking a bit “pastel” consistent other tanks of that time employing carbon dosing and the ULNS thinking. Essentially things were manageable, and nitrate / phosphate would test at low or undetectable levels - yet I was still always dealing with nuisance algae and had to be quite sparse about feeding to stay more or less in balance.

Skip ahead a marriage, loss of interest in the hobby, pandemic and 5 years of ignoring my tank. Then found new motivation at the start of this year.

> cleaned up tank, started planning for a new plan. Here I am;

Now - no carbon dosing. I’m feeding 3x as much (at least) than in the past. Tank looks cleaner, and I’m seeing improved growth compared to anything I’ve seen in the past.

What’s different? No carbon dosing, daily fresh phyto, more aggressively feeding.

What’s happening? I think this is a much better cycling of nutrients. Fresh food goes in, gets eaten, then waste broken down more effectively and thoroughly leaving little inorganic waste to fuel problems (or to rely on carbon dosing to then remove). Phyto seems to help by absorbing available nutrients AND then getting consumed, feeding said nutrients back to corals and other desirable life instead of feeding nuisance growth.

One way or another I’m doing much better at managing nutrients and keeping a healthy tank by using different strategies other than carbon dosing.

Can carbon dosing be a useful in managing nutrients? Absolutely yes. Will it be as effective as I had hoped in the past, the way I had hoped it would? Nope.

What (I think) I’ve learned? Carbon dosing is great for removing the end result, ashes if you will, left over from inefficient metabolism.
AND
Our tanks (ok at least mine) are like living things themselves, with energy input, output, and metabolism. The athlete eats a lot of healthy foods and rapidly metabolizes them leading to great, relatively efficient, outputs (muscle growth and output - coral growth) and nearly zero accumulating belly fat (nuisance growth).

Nuisance algae is like belly fat. We all consume 1000s of calories daily, and we all burn a lot. A few too many calories, and not quite enough burning of said calories, and we have an excess around the margins which becomes belly fat (or nuisance growth).

Get a system metabolizing like a marathon runner, and it may get hard to grow nuisance algae. Get a system metabolizing like a “video gamer”. (No offense intended to anyone) sitting around eating fast food, then belly fat and or nuisance growth become almost a given.

My take away - I’d use carbon dosing again to deal with accumulated ashes (I believe Dong gets the credit for that analogy) in the form of accumulating nitrates and phosphates. I wouldn’t rely on carbon dosing to manage those nutrients in the first place.

Practically for the questions about how to use carbon dosing- I’d say there are only very vague guidelines. You really have to start modestly, watch and monitor closely and adjust/ increase accordingly. Every tank is different.

I routinely have 30-40 ppm nitrates and phosphates are always over 0.4. I run chaeto, a bio pellet reactor, constant water changes, big skimmer, and I just can’t get these numbers down. If I were considering vodka, and I am, would I remove the chaeto and pellets first? Tank is about 18 months old and nothing is dying, but I wouldn’t say everything is thriving either.

I routinely have 30-40 ppm nitrates and phosphates are always over 0.4. I run chaeto, a bio pellet reactor, constant water changes, big skimmer, and I just can’t get these numbers down. If I were considering vodka, and I am, would I remove the chaeto and pellets first? Tank is about 18 months old and nothing is dying, but I wouldn’t say everything is thriving either.
I would favor subtle changes over more drastic ones. You can always start with a small, almost insignificant daily dose of vodka or vinegar and observe, leaving everything else unchanged.

biopellets here been a lazy reefer these days. just trying to keep things alive in my absents. seems to be working hopefully the fall things will slow down at work and I can get re engaged more. Seems to be working so far and clearly overgrown right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 61
I do vinegar dosing when my nitrates get higher than a few points. Mostly I use an AWC but had to start dosing again because my pump broke and I also added more fish. My nitrates jumped so im dosing again and fixing my AWC

Once they get to 0 I slow down and actually stop because I like to keep very low nitrates for the coral color

I’m doing it also in my frag tank now because of an algae issue but I’ll slow down and stop once the algae issue is under control

So I use it just when needed

I have used bio pellets but had a bacteria outbreak ( water went cloudy quickly ) so I find the dosing much easier to control and manage when needed

My tank nitrates are usually so low I have to dose nitrates which is where I rather keep it

Back