Overflow design

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
With all the different overflow designs out there I was wondering what has worked for some of you. Durso? Stockman? External Durso? What would you change in your overflow design if you were to do it all over? How about some pictures?

I'm trying to nail down my design for my 40breeder before I drill it this week.

ho hum...been trying to search RC all night for ideas with out any luck...stupid *BEEP*in search function.

We just finished a double stockman down to the basement. works great, takes up less space than a durso. Remember to use 1.25 or 1.5 inch pipe on a 1 inch drain. Makes a huge difference.

Just when I think I understand the terminology in this hobby, I read something new! What are you guys talking about?? Looks like I'll have to do some research on RC myself before I set up my big tank - grrrrr....

When the water goes down the drain pipe into the sump it is very loud. The rushing water sucks bubbles down so it sounds like a flushing toilet. The durso and stockman pipes are two similar ways to let the water down the pipe, but let just enough air in to keep it quiet. Too little air and the water goes down faster than the pump can return it and you get a loud filling/emptying cycle (called flushing) To much and you're back to the loud gurgle.

Durso and stockman are both ways to make a pipe with the water entering the pipe below the waterline and an airhole above the waterline that lets in just the right amount of air.

1000 words
Durso on left, stockman on right

Attachments

• dursoStockman.jpg
    dursoStockman.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,443
Too many decisions if you ask me. You can also use an external durso if the back of your tank is drilled. It's like the durso pictured above, but the only part in the tank is the downturned elbow. The T and the pipe leading to the sump are on the outside of the bulkhead.

But it isn't just the actual overflow design that I am worried about, it's things like where to drill holes and how much space different overflow designs take up. Should I create an internal overflow box that is the height of the tank with the drain holes near the bottom, or use a half box with the holes near the top? There are so many different ways to do it that I just know I am going to make a decision I am going to regret later. Just trying not to make too many.

I'm probably the last person you want to ask since I am setting up my first reef tank, but I am going to do a half size, in-tank overflow with an exit through a high drilled bulkhead.

Back