Paint Question - Convert a Cherry Trim to Black

JavaJones

Non-member
My 75G display has a cherry-coloured trim, the stand is oak coloured and the canopy is black. I have decided that it is easiest to paint them all black. My question is what type paint would you recommend that I use on the display's trim? Should I use the same type they use on plastic model aeroplanes? I am looking for flat-black finish.

Hmmm.... not sure. My vote would be to mask it off and spray paint it, but since the tank is already set up I guess that idea is out.

You could probably use any latex or enamel providing you clean the trim well beforehand with something that won't damage the plastic. Maybe rubbing alcohol?

I'm thinking your biggest challenge will be avoiding unsightly brush marks, since it sounds like you'll have to brush the paint on... maybe use a small disposable foam roller for the majority of it?

I am planning on using wide electricians tape to convert my tank from wood toned to black. (gotta remember to buy that at Lowes one of these days...

You might want to check over on reef central. I think I saw someone awhile back with the same question and someone posted that you can remove the trim and order new trim from all glass in the color you want. Not 100% sure, but I believe that was the solution

I might try the electricians tape route! Hadn't even considered that. Thanks!

On the other hand, if I do go the paint route, I will see rubbing alcohol works to clean the trim well.

Replacing the trim may work for the top, unfortunately, I still have to deal with the botton trim...

Right now, the electician's tape seems like the most attractive...my inherent laziness!

Back