Painting AGA Black Pine Stand

Nikkoli110

Non-member
I have a used 55 gallon black pine AGA stand. I am setting it up in my room to replace my 29. All the furniture in my room is white, and I would like to paint this stand white also. I dont think I will paint the inside, just the insides of the doors. What do I need to do? Can I paint right over it? I'm not sure I've never painted over anything before except walls. Do I need to sand? Prime? What kind of paint should I use? Thanks...

(Not sure where this belonged, but figured DIY was close)

Nikki,

You should lightly sand the old surface with about a 220 grit sandpaper then clean the surface with a damp clean cloth dipped in paint thinner. I would use an oil paint with a slight gloss for ease of cleaning.

Jim

Latex paint will work fine too. I'd use a primer though for good adhesion.

Keep in mind that it's going to require a few coats to cover black with white. I wouldn't be suprised if it's 3 or 4 coats before you're covered up.

Nate

Ok that sounds easy enough. I'll sand it and prime it, what kind of primer can I use? I know my mom used Kilz or something like that to cover the dark panels in my basement, and then it took 2 more coats of latex over that to get the color right. I'm not sure if that stuff would work in this application.

Back