pH and hardness control

GiannisK

BRS Member
Hello, I'm new to saltwater tanks and planning the setup for my first one, a 20-gallon. I'm a bit confused about pH and KH.

What is the KH level I should be striving for? It seems there are different answers online. Or does it depend on the fish? How can I increase or decrease KH?

My understanding is that KH and pH will be significantly affected by the sand, right? In that case, how can you properly test and adjust the water before it's added to the tank and interacts with the sand?

I've also heard that my pH levels might be too low because of a lot of CO2 in my air (small space, few windows, lots of people). Is there a relatively inexpensive way to reduce CO2 levels? I don't have a protein skimmer. Is there media for other filters that can achieve this?

Thank you!

PH is a don’t care parameter to me.
Keep the KH up and the CA, and MG and get your minor trace elements from water changes is enough to keep a healthy tank.

PH is a don’t care parameter to me.
Keep the KH up and the CA, and MG and get your minor trace elements from water changes is enough to keep a healthy tank.
Thanks for your response. What are good CA and KH levels?

Alk 8-12 and Cal 400-450. The best number is the one you can maintain. I personally maintain 9ish and 425ish. Just pick numbers according to the salt you will be using. They will all mix to different numbers. Stability is key... not numbers chasing. You have the PH theory down. You need to let fresh air enter your home to combat the high CO2 levels. Opening windows does the trick. Hard to do in New England in the winter. Without a skimmer it will be hard to accomplish. Many use CO2 scubbers to "scrub" the CO2 from the inside air. This helps raise your PH. Others run a line to the outside of their homes and have the skimmer suck that low CO2 air to accomplish the same thing. The skimmer acts like a air mixing reactor. You do not need a skimmer to have a successful tank but you do need one to aid in raising your PH. As stated don't go crazy over your PH. Many successful tanks run with low PH. Just maintain your Alk and you will be ok.

Alk 8-12 and Cal 400-450. The best number is the one you can maintain. I personally maintain 9ish and 425ish. Just pick numbers according to the salt you will be using. They will all mix to different numbers. Stability is key... not numbers chasing. You have the PH theory down. You need to let fresh air enter your home to combat the high CO2 levels. Opening windows does the trick. Hard to do in New England in the winter. Without a skimmer it will be hard to accomplish. Many use CO2 scubbers to "scrub" the CO2 from the inside air. This helps raise your PH. Others run a line to the outside of their homes and have the skimmer suck that low CO2 air to accomplish the same thing. The skimmer acts like a air mixing reactor. You do not need a skimmer to have a successful tank but you do need one to aid in raising your PH. As stated don't go crazy over your PH. Many successful tanks run with low PH. Just maintain your Alk and you will be ok.
Thank you, really appreciate your response.

I would love to have a protein skimmer if I could find one worth the price for a 20 gallon. If you have any recommendations let me know.

As far as pH, when you say many successful tanks run with low pH, just how low are we talking about? Below 8, even?

Thanks again!

I would love to have a protein skimmer if I could find one worth the price for a 20 gallon. If you have any recommendations let me know.

As far as pH, when you say many successful tanks run with low pH, just how low are we talking about? Below 8, even?

Thanks again!
I have the IceCap K1 skimmer in my Innovative Marine 20 and it skims like a beast. Highly recommend

Thanks again!
7.8 is the lowest I would go before freaking out. Ice cap, aquamax, eshopps and reef octopus all make great nano skimmers.

Back