Place your vote for KH Director, Alktronic, or Apex/Trident

What’s the best kH monitor out there?

• Total voters

chadfish

BRS Member
What’s the best kH monitor? Any insights? Who likes what?

(Anyone have some used equipment I can purchase)

I have owned the khd and as precise as it was i always had hiccups every couple weeks that it would throw a error code. Sold that and got a alkatronic. Besides it being noisy it hasn’t missed a beat yet. I make my own reagent and $40 last over a year testing every 4 hours.

I only have experience with the KH Director by GHL. I used this for a bit and like @Chris A. said above, it's super precise but sometimes it got some air bubble sin the lines which through an error code. I sold mine when I added a CaRx but have been thinking of adding it back for the data.

Who knows, maybe I'll just get the Alkatronic?

Definitely not Apex. I know there are people who swear by that. But my experience has been the opposite.

The Calcium and Magnesium numbers will slowly start to drift after calibrating the device. Like Ca showing 200/300 ppm over the actual reading. Neptune's reasoning is that this is happening as the reagent bottle has a needle that doesn't align vertically and incorrect amount of reagent gets pulled. There is a 3d printed reagent bottle cap guides that claims to fix the problem. But I had no luck with that. Neptune support was of little help with asking me to re-calibrate it repeatedly, that never fixed the issue.

From time to time, it would stop with a No Water Sample error. And I would need unplug/re-plug and reset everything all over.

Lol. The guys that ran KHD hated it. And the guys that ran Trident hated it. Good luck with your decision on what to get.
I hate not having the data I need, taking more and more measurements and not being sure of where I am in my fluctuation cycle. It I suppose if I shelled out $1k for a nuisance I’d be pretty irate too.

Last edited:
Well I just purchased a new KH Guardian and gonna give that go. Like stated above the trident tends to drift a lot, wasn’t happy with that and was never really an apex fan so I sold out. I liked the idea and precision of using a ph probe with acid finding the given dkh like alkatronic and kh director do, and the kh guardian has been around for 6 years now… worth a try for me at the price point of $479

Back