potter's angel attacked by yellow tang... help?

Reef55

BRS Member
I introduced a potter's angel to my tank last night with the lights out. My yellow tang still followed him around though. Today, one side of my potter's angel is all torn up. Looks like straight line cuts over about a third of one side of him. There is a white film of sorts over the area as well, and he is breathing fast. I have removed the angel to my refugium (75 gallons).

Is there anything that I can do for him / treat him with? I can set up a hospital tank seperate from my main system if need be. Also, my wife works at a vet clinic and can buy any drug I might need... what can I do??

Thanks

Are you sure it was the tang that attacked the angel? Could the angel have gotten wedged between some rocks or the glass and rock?

I watched the tang go up to the angel sideways with his barb out and shake back and forth quickly.

sounds like a tang attack, that line was caused by the caudal spike. Your best bet is let him heal in the fuge for ...as long as it takes and then put him up for sale.

You can risk reintroduction, but I doubt it'll work.

you could try putting it in a hospital tank with plenty of aeration and use saltwater maracyn or maracyn II. It is an antibiotic incase the your worried that the gashes will get infected.

Mark - I saw that beautiful Potters .. Yellow tangs can be vicious to new additions.
I have some antibotic food that I used when my goldflake angel had an infection caused by an injury. It saved her life! You are welcome to try some. Let me know and you can either come over for it, or I can meet you someplace.
It worked like a charm - but you have to feed this AND NOTHING ELSE for 10 days.
Paula

Back