Products / Equipment not needed for the reef tank

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Maybe we can start a list of products or equipment that are on the market for the hobbyist, but are just not usually needed.
Feel free to discuss any item listed.

One item per person per day, here. Give everyone a chance to participate! :p

My contribution:
Phytoplankton - it's probably not needed by the average hobbyist. Unless you've got a really young clam, then pouring phytoplankton into the reef tank may be a waste of time and money. Worse yet, it may contribute to a nutrient problem.
Most corals don't eat phytoplankton, no matter what the bottle says.

ok, first one that comes to mind is bioballs. if these things were anywhere near as useful as they are cool-looking, they would probably be the only thing you would need for filtration in your tank. unfortunately they are nowhere near as useful as they are cool looking...........oh well.

Ok,I'll play.

Canister filters.
Unless they're being used for running carbon or some other media temporarily.Or they have constant maintenance they just become nitrate factories.

Great idea for a thread Moe! :)

How about the entire aisle of various elixers and trace supplements for reef-health at some stores and all online places?

For the average reefer, just stick to dosing Ca, Alk, and occasionally Mg. Water changes will take care of the rest.

Anything with "marc weiss" on the label

(marc weiss ='s %100 snake oil)

ok, first one that comes to mind is bioballs. if these things were anywhere near as useful as they are cool-looking, they would probably be the only thing you would need for filtration in your tank. unfortunately they are nowhere near as useful as they are cool looking...........oh well.

I agree that they are useless for reef tanks....

but for fish only systems, I think they can be effective as long as waterchanges control nitrate build up.

Mag-float algae cleaners.

I think they are the most useless things. Worst 10 bucks i've ever spent. Just get a razor blade and get your hand wet. The razor blade will even take care of the coralline build up.

How about those POS swing arm SG checkers? Mine was off by .006 vs. a calibrated refractometer

How about power compact lights. :)

Funny you mention CF lighting. For years I kept a beautiful softie tank under CF lighting and had excellent results.

I toss the idea of doing it again every month when the National Grid pig comes knocking on my door.

Do T5's use more or less energy or is wattage just wattage?

Funny you mention CF lighting. For years I kept a beautiful softie tank under CF lighting and had excellent results.

I toss the idea of doing it again every month when the National Grid pig comes knocking on my door.

Do T5's use more or less energy or is wattage just wattage?

Wattage is pretty much wattage, but T5s have the advantage of having much better reflectors, so more of the wattage (3-4x as much) actually makes it into the tank as light. The shape of PC bulbs does not lend itself well to efficient reflector design.

No one's mentioned the eco-aqualizer yet. :)

Back