Pygmy octopuses

ReeferDude

all educated
i am thinking of buying a pygmy at the LFS for 50 bucks good deal huh? i already set up a 15 gallon for it are there any reefers with expeirience in the department of octos?

Most are already fully mature when purchased. Typical life span on average is about a month. Very cool specimen though. I was considering getting one, but just don't have the heart to see it die after a month or two.

There was someone breeding and selling them in the area a few years ago. The manager of the saltwater department at Seaworld (Chris Q.) I believe knew the guy. I think if you got one captive raised it would probably be good for about 1-2 years. I'm actually thinking about this myself. It'd be a really cool species tank. I really don't know much at all about them myself. If you learn much, please let the rest of us know about your experiences.

If your considering any sort of cephalpod, I'm sure you know about Tonmo.com...but just in case you don't, they have a ton of information, as well as breeders of all sorts of cephs all over the country. Definately read up over there before you do anything.

i had one for a few weeks maybe 5, laid eggs and died, kinda sad when they stop eating!

They live to breed. Once they have lived long enough to be able to lay eggs, they die. As someone said they live 1-2 years max.

Keep them occuied all the time. Meaning give them things to "play" with or they will get bored and figure out a way to escape. Believe it or not, some plastic cat toys work wonders. Just make sure it's something that can be used safely in salt water (no metal balls or anything)
Keep them under low light with a few caves for hiding. Extaordinary creatures to say the least.
Best of luck

If you're looking for small toys for them try parrot toys. They range in size, are made from acrylic, and can be found in any pet store.

i need to now the name of the breeder i tryied calling sea world and waited 1.5 hours on the phone and no answer with the head of aquatics

If you get put on hold for more than a few minutes at SW, just call back. They will leave you on hold for hours otherwise. Also, try calling early in the morning before they are busy.

FWIW, I did some reading yesterday on octos. Looks like there is a commonly available dwarf octo from Florida that it found regularly when they are collecting live rock from their outdoor aquacultured rock ocean leases. There are a few people selling this octo, for low $ (available on ebay, or direct from the guy who collects them). Looks like it remains pretty small, but tends to be rather nocturnal, so you may not get to see it, or have much interaction with it.

On Tonmo.com there are several article about octos, but it seemed to me like there still was not all that much information about how to keep them. Looks like most people like the 'Bimac' (O. bimaculoides) as one of the best to keep. Trouble is it looks like a 50 gallon system is the minimum for these guys as they can grow to be quite large.

Hey Greg,
Possible to posts some links to the info you found on this Florida dwarf species? Who is this mysterious guy that is collecting them?

Chris

I was crusing around www.sealifeflorida.com the other day and noticed that they sell pygmy octos.

They don't look as colorful as some of the larger species, but their small size definitely makes them an attactive option.

Back