Question about selling frags

MiraRose

Non-member
I have some zoas I want to frag and sell, but I'm not sure how many polyps I should put on a frag plug. I also was wondering how i should decide on a price. Is it just based on how much I paid for them?
Sorry if these are stupid questions, I haven't sold anything on here before.

I have some zoas I want to frag and sell, but I'm not sure how many polyps I should put on a frag plug. I also was wondering how i should decide on a price. Is it just based on how much I paid for them?
Sorry if these are stupid questions, I haven't sold anything on here before.
It's really up to you to determine how many polyps per frag and price. Do a search and see what price they command currently. Most of the more expensive polyps are sold individually and common polyps may still hold a per polyp price albeit less expensive. I haven't collected zoa/palys in years so no help with pricing.

If you know your type of coral, just do a online search to find general pricing and go from there. If you dont know what kind you have just post it up here and im sure people will help you. Typically try to price a little lower for local peeps/members. Ive also traded to local fish stores for credit/etc so keep that in mind too!

If you start growing corals well and fragging a lot you'll get to the point where you price them low to clear out space haha. Also have the occasional frag that keeps growing from one or two polyps so just increase price if needed as they grow out.
Good luck! its a great way to reduce the hobby cost / pay for itself and is a cool way to get deeper into the hobby as well as introducing more aqua-cultured corals to the trade

For common zoas/palys, I’d do a few polyps at $5-10 per frag. Rarer stuff $20+. Imo it’s mostly how fast they grow for you. Fast growers you’ll almost be giving away as often times a lot of people have them already. Really rare can be $50+ per polyp.

Number of p per frag is up to you. Slow growers and rare typically only have 1-3 p per frag but fast growing could have a bunch. Typically id just frag 1-5p and a few more p may grow before i sell them.

What corals do you have and i can give you a better idea of what id sell for.

For common zoas/palys, I’d do a few polyps at $5-10 per frag. Rarer stuff $20+. Imo it’s mostly how fast they grow for you. Fast growers you’ll almost be giving away as often times a lot of people have them already. Really rare can be $50+ per polyp.

Number of p per frag is up to you. Slow growers and rare typically only have 1-3 p per frag but fast growing could have a bunch. Typically id just frag 1-5p and a few more p may grow before i sell them.

What corals do you have and i can give you a better idea of what id sell for.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure if these are worth much money but I'd also be willing to trade for other corals if I could find someone who is interested
I have Jason fox stargazers
Pandoras
AOI and
Red bull, I think? It looks similar to another one I have

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if these are worth much money but I'd also be willing to trade for other corals if I could find someone who is interested
I have Jason fox stargazers
Pandoras
AOI and
Red bull, I think? It looks similar to another one I have
Pandoras are quite common. Maybe $5-$10 for a frag with 5-10p though tbh a lot of people have them so finding people interested in buying can be a challenge coupled with them potentially growing faster than you can sell or even give away.

Star gazers and AOI, i'd probably say $10-$30 for a frag with say 2-10 polyps. I've bought 2p AOI for $10 within the last year. These are less common than Pandoras though still not overly difficult to find locally. I'm not too sure on red bulls though i'd guess they would also be in this range.

It also depends on your tank/system size and ability to store frags. You can probably price a bit higher if you have a frag tank you can hold them in for a while vs an in tank frag rack that fills up quickly so you need to move frags quickly. Even higher if you're willing to ship.

I generally find that you can get better value trading than selling so i'd take a few pics and list as WTT/FS and see what people can offer. A lot of people have a lot of one thing or another so are often happy to trade for anything they don't have.

I'd be interested in trading for the stargazers and/or red bulls. I have a few frags available atm (though not a ton) if you wanted to pm me.

Last edited:
Back