Ques. (Question of the Day?)-Coral Dipping

15 minutes in the same tank water….using Exodus Dip from moonshiners….if the coral has a stem then I use a nylon brush and give it a little scrub.

I dip in Bayer (160ml per 1gal saltwater) for about 10 mins. If possible I cut frag plug off and attach a new one.

I’ve been using coralrx but I don’t think it does enough I’ve been looking into potassium chloride I think it is.

I use Bayer old stuff for SPS as well as coral Rx for LPS. The new Bayer is not the same. Once this is gone I will look into potassium Chloride. I Dip for 15 min. squirting with turkey baster. if LPS I'll take a toothbrush to the base and any exposed skeleton.

Personally I only use chemicals as dip if I know what is in it. The old Bayer formula had two chemicals in it, which were very clear how they would work on worms. The newer formula has only one of the two compounds but it has a strong smell which I don’t like. Potassium chloride is actually a Molluscicide, which is effective in high concentrations like 1 to 2 thousand ppm.
The general instructions for potassium chloride dip is 1/2 to 2 teaspoon in a liter of tank water, which brings the concentration of potassium chloride to 1000 to 3000 ppm. At that concentration, worms and red bugs etc will die.

Personally I only use chemicals as dip if I know what is in it. The old Bayer formula had two chemicals in it, which were very clear how they would work on worms. The newer formula has only one of the two compounds but it has a strong smell which I don’t like. Potassium chloride is actually a Molluscicide, which is effective in high concentrations like 1 to 2 thousand ppm.
The general instructions for potassium chloride dip is 1/2 to 2 teaspoon in a liter of tank water, which brings the concentration of potassium chloride to 1000 to 3000 ppm. At that concentration, worms and red bugs etc will die.
For potassium chloride do you just buy the big bag typically used in water softeners?

I’ve used tropic Marin’s dip for the last year but am just about finished with my current bottle so tuning in to see what others are liking at this time!

Dong,

What kind of corals are you comfortable Dipping in the potassium chloride? sps, lps, micromussa, favia, lobo, etc…

I experimented on SPS, zoas, lobo, favia, duncan,
Mushrooms. Sps seems to do best, zoas and mushrooms are not that happy, but all recovered.
But for most LPS and zoas, I use iodine and Flatworms Exit normally.

Does anyone know if the is old or new version of Bayer?

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 32
Both versions exist currently depending on where you can buy it. You still can buy the 1-chemical formula in Lowe

Back