Quiet in sump return pump

thomb

thomb
I have a Model 9000 Quiet One for my return. Unfortunatly, it is not so quiet. I'm running vinyl tubing from it to the hard lines for the actual returns (about 2 ft) , it doesn't touch sides of the sump and it rests on a large square of foam.
Any suggestions on a replacement pump with comparable flow rate to the QO 9000? Plumbing the sump to the non-existant basement is not an option (although someday I will build a fish room in the crawlspace::

And while I'm at it, on my CurrentUSA light fixture (PC for now) any harm in intermittantly running the cooling fans - they too are way too loud

Some folks have a lot of luck with the Ehiem hobby pumps.
I wouldn't do that with the fans.I'm currently waiting on a bulb for my QT because I left the fan off for a while.

I had a QO 4000 that was not that quiet and a pain to clean. I now have a Mag 9.5 in that tank and an Eheim 1260. Both are very quiet. The new Maxi-Jet Utility pumps are apparently quiet. However, I don't think any of these brands' submersibles go up to the same gph of a QO 9000 - you would need to look at externals.

I think there is no real danger (e.g. fire hazard) with not running a fan on a pc fixture - it just increases the longevity of the bulbs and ballasts. I took apart my pc fixture and have it retrofitted into another canopy with no fan and with the ballast on the outside

An external pump is an option as my sump is plumbed for it. I tried the QO in that mode for about 10 seconds but it was SO loud I thought it had to be submersible - and quickly engineerer the current internal setup.

Also got my numbers wrong - I've got the QO6000 not the 9000! :)

So perhaps a different thread here - any recommendations for a quiet external return pump. They all say they are quiet or ultra quiet.

Something is up with your connections,hose sizes,pump,impeller,cavitation....something.
I have found the quite one series pumps to be very,very quite as in cannot hear it running quite...way quieter than mags.I put some dobs of aquarium sealer in the corners on the bottom of the pump and let it cure.

I have no experience with the ocean runner pumps but that is what I plan to run on my new sump.

Ocean runners are good internal pumps and of course we cant forget the eheims. What size tank are you running this on and is it only feeding your return?

i have an eheim 1262 and it is silent. i love it. 900 gph and 11' of head pressure...

Oceanrunner....very quiet. The Octopus skimmer runs a modded OR needle wheel, and the air intake is noisier than the pump

Back