Red Sea Max 130d upgrade question.

arda

sohal tang
I have seen that lots of people upgrading red se max 130d skimmer and adding media basket to their tank from IN TANK company and I was wondering if someone can help me why is this necessary? I don't think it is but I was thinking to change my as well but before I do I just want to make sure if its worth doing it. Thank you.

I did the upgrade because in my opinion the skimmer was good, but the Tunze 9002 is better. The stock skimmer is VERY sensitive to your water level. When I got the level right and added my ATO the skimmer seemed to work a lot better.
Also, before I did the upgrade, I did some modifications to the original skimmer to make it quieter and more efficient. It worked good, but I feel the tunze does a better job. The In Tank media rack makes maintenance much easier as well.

For the record, the original skimmer worked pretty good.(a little noisy)

To answer your question. The skimmer does not need to be upgraded in my opinion, but the upgrade does make it easier and the Tunze is a little more efficient.

I made the change due to the fact the media basket makes maintenance a lot easier. Did you take advantage of the free pump upgrade through Red Sea's website?

Yes I did. when I receive the delivery of the tank it was in it and I had no idea about it. :)

Great. I did the skimmer and media basket upgrade...the upgrade isn't cheap...but if you gave some cash I would recommend the upgrade. I also think the skimmer is more quiet.

Back