reducing micro-bubbles

Skeeter7424

More corals than gallons
anyone have a suggestion to reduce micro-bubbles getting into my DT from my sump. here is a shot of my sump...

IMG_20110927_070306.jpg

for ease of explanation, the left chamber is 1, second chamber/refugium is 2, and skimmer is 3...
skimmer and main down pipe is in 3. secondary small return in the 2, however this chamber is setup as a refugium, and is elevated above chambers 1 and 3, and overflows its edges into both of those. water goes from 3, under 2, and into 1 where the return pump is located. there is not really any room for a 3 piece bubble trap, which was originally my plan. i was thinking to wrap the intake of the return pump with a sponge, possibly a phosphate sponge just for explanations sake, but also didnt want to restrict flow so much as to heat, and wear, the motor. i was also thinking that i could wedge a piece of the phos-sponge under 2, in the way of the water flow, but im still not sure.

anyone with some ideas, please let me know. i am open for anything, and also have two pretty sizeable pieces of plexi to make panels if need be...

thanks all
Cheers
Jordan

u can try putting a sponge underneath chamber 2.if your skimmer is newly set up,u will get alot of micro b.also u can add a filter socks on the drain line.my skimmer was putting out alot of micro b untill it broke in.i also add a socks.check your salinity also,if it's low,alot of micro will escape instead of rising to the top

By the Cleanlieness of your sump, it looks very new... Give it time it will go away, Your Skimmer is just breaking in... If you still have Micro Bubbles in 3 mos, then I would look into a solution... BTW having Erration isn't necessarily a bad thing bud! Patience is the key to this hobby

Can you just turn the return pump inlet so that its way over to the left, giving the bubbles time to rise before getting sucked in? I also like the idea of the sponge wedged under the center chamber but youd have to change it out alot so it not a nitrate factory.

Jordan, can you face your return pump's inlet to another direction? When water drop it will create bubbles and those bubbles need time to raise to the top before your return suck it in.

Edit: sorry I didn't read, s_kelley already posted the same suggestion.

Last edited:
Can you just turn the return pump inlet so that its way over to the left, giving the bubbles time to rise before getting sucked in? I also like the idea of the sponge wedged under the center chamber but youd have to change it out alot so it not a nitrate factory.

Yes, that :)

I did try to turn the return 90 degrees away from the skimmer. did not reduce the micro... and yes, this is a VERY new setup. everything was cleaned and sparkling before it was fired up (accept for the rock and sand). i will wait it out for now. i figured it was just NTS (new tank syndrome) and that I was being picky... i may still stuff a piece of sponge under chamber 2 to reduce the bubbles a little bit...

thanks a bunch guys

Jordan

Back