Reef Safe Angel 'pair' at Skiptons

reefnroll

shady lurker
There have been a few threads on this topic lately, so I thought I'd post an interesting opportunity.

I was at Skiptons this morning and saw two, very young (2.5" or so) Genicanthus lamarcki... both in excellent shape. The Genicanthus genus is a medium sized angel that are planktoviores in the wild, which translates to very... very little chance of nibbling anything you don't want them to in a captive reef. I personally would categorize Genicanthus as reef safe. The pair of Genicanthus angels in my tank have touched nothing but the food I add to the tank, and are kind citizens to the all sized fish and inverts.

The young fish at Skiptons would be perfect for someone looking for youngsters to pair up in a 75-90 gallon (my estimate) or larger tank. Both fish present as young females at this moment. If tanked together, the chances of the slightly larger individual developing into a male within a year are very high. They are only $40 each... and that's before the March discount!

Here' a little blurb on the G. lamarcki angel, and a shot of a mature male.

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/pomacantidi/POMGenicanthuslamarckien.htm

b

i have a pair of lamarcki in my 120 reef and they are great. they are @ 2 to 2.5 '' long and not a problem. they are reef safe and get along great.

Has one of yours changed to male yet hawaii?
In lamarcki, that would be indicated by a golden 'dot' just on the forehead.

b

Black pectoral fins, Nate (I know that's what you meant)... and thin black line on the dorsal. The adult female actually develops a much thicker black line along the dorsal.

The yellow spot between the eyes develops first, from what I've seen. The black pects develop as the caudal fins elongate into the 'swallowtail'... which is the physical feature the genus is known for.

Here's another link that shows both adult genders, and a juvenile. You can see the golden spot on the male's head in this one.

http://www.tjorvar.is/html/lamarck_angel.html

b

if i had room in my tank I would love to get these two. Ah just another reason to upgrade and go from my 72 to a 120

yes? one has now that you mention that yes, .did not know what that ment thanks wow that is cool .. bec just like the bottom pic you posted very good thanks. talk soon . still wating for montipora blue red to grow a little it has very little color.the stylo is doing good and tort is also doing good. up grading from a 120 48x24x24 to a 180 72x24x24. need a little more room. going to see you soon for a little more ok.

They are drip aclimatizing as we speak! I will post pics when I get a chance.

So any special care recommendations? Favorite foods...?

Looked to me like they were eating everything (at the store). I'd try frozen mysis to start. My pair of Genicanthus now eat everything that hits the water, from flake to pellets to the combo-goop. Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy them.

Good luck Joe! Can't wait to see the photos!

bec

Back