Reef Tank Maintainence 101 (Pump cleaning)

Aquaman_68

too many gadgets to fail
I figured I would post an idea I conceived many years ago while servicing my external pumps. Most of you know that routine maintainence should be done on your external & in sump pumps...(If you don't....... than pay attention)
Your pump impellars will need to be removed from your pumps & cleaned from time to time. How long between cleanings will depend on many variables.
I like to use a rule of thumb...(for good practice) I clean my pumps or swap them out for cleaning every 4 months....
This is not set in stone...but it is better to clean an impellar before it is so caked up with calcium deposits that if hinders operation. (& also can wear on the internal parts)
While doing such maintainence I recommend on external pumps.....That you lube up the screws (on the impellar housing to body) with Petroleum grease (vaseline)
This will prevent the screws from seizing in the pump housing due to our favorite friend in the hobby!!! SALT CREEP!!
Saltcreep left to sit on even stainless screws will allow them to corrode...(more so when they are in a cast aluminum body) Heck even with out salt creep anytime you put two dissimilar metals together there is a chance they can seize together....(even in optimal conditions.....)

If you are a newbie to this I will post a pic to show the hardware I speak of on an external pump. (with impellar housing removed for viewing)
Here ya go

Attachments

• MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 408
My applicator of choice is a tooth pic. (you really don't need much lube) I just dip the TP in the jar till I have an amount similar to the pic below.

Attachments

• MVC-039S.JPG
    MVC-039S.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 403
Smear the vaseline on the end of the screw as shown.

Attachments

• MVC-040S.JPG
    MVC-040S.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 405
The amount of Vaseline you should be left with on the screw is shown below...put one turn of the screw into the pump housing without impellar housing installed after ea screw has been lubed. Turn them in 4 or 5 turns by hand to spread the lube thruout the threads in the pump body...

Once the housing & impellar are clean. (by soaking in a solution of vinegar & warm water for an hour or so....depending how caked up they are with calcium deposits.) The pump can be assembled...

One note of caution: Make sure you don't soak any o rings to the pump in the vinegar solution. If there is crud present on the o rings. Run them under warm water & it will gently be removed without damage to the o rings..
HTH you all......& keep the faith!!:cool:

B

Attachments

• MVC-041S.JPG
    MVC-041S.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 397
Thanks, Mark...figured I would take a little time to take pics while doing the pump cleaning this time around.

Very good idea Brian. thanks for taking the time........an easy thing that is very important and most people probably don't know how easy it is to do....

Back