Rock-n-Reef’s 200 Gallon build

Here’s my guy in the blues
07FFB875-39C2-4231-842C-C3DD1107430B.jpeg

My favorite reef sentence pertains to foxface: Venomous and spastic is a bad combination.

Can't remember where that came from to properly credit it. Think of it every time I see one.

As long as you don't catch them off guard when putting your hand in the tank, they are perfectly fine. The fish should know you are in the tank working, and you should know where the fish is! As I said, he is very timid, and as as soon as he sees that I'm doing something in the tank, he will switch to his camouflage colors, and then go hide behind a rock.

They also switch to their camouflaged color after lights are out.

The screen-top is snug and looks clean.

1603742509520.jpeg

Added this eductor on one of the return. I like the flow it is generating, but when the pump starts, it is probably sucking in some air from the surface causing some splashing. Folks using this, any advice on how you have this installed? I don't want it to be pointed all the way down as it would cause too much siphon when the pumps are switched off.

1603742569904.jpeg

Do you know if there's any residue associated with the mixing salt? Some salt has nasty residue(IO) and I wouldn't want that in the tank. The glass is easy enough to scrape off but the overflow box and plumbing is a pain. If you have capacity to mix outside the tank, I would highly recommended it. It also will be easier when you do your aquascape and pump the water in as you go.
If you're not concern with the salt residue, think about the aquascape with water in the tank.

Good point! There is definitely residue when mixing the salt and I have been using a 5 micron filter to get these out in my mixing bin. makes sense to do the salt mixing and then pumping in.

I'm dreaded about the aquascaping though. the corals and the rock from the settled tank is being moved into this. So I can't really do dry aquascape. And I do want to change some of the rock work as I want to reduce the height on some of those. Given the water height is only about 19 inches in the tank, I want to maybe keep that to less than 8/9 inches for most of the areas. So need to inventory the rocks, draw out what I'm going to do, how to do that in the tank without pouring a ton of cyanoacrylate in the water, and plan out every little detail. When all that is ready, throw that in the trash and do free style! which is what usually happens :p

I'm planning on doing colored pvc plumbing for my tank but that white with a white sump looks really really clean like it a lot...

The plumbing looks so nice I thought it was a digital rendering. Also I know it seems silly but aluminum foil helped me mock up my aqua scape based on the rock in my tank

Mix your initial with tropic marin, clean and clear in like 2 hours.

I'm planning on doing colored pvc plumbing for my tank but that white with a white sump looks really really clean like it a lot...

thank you! I considered that, but then those colored pipes were 8 times the regular schd 80 pipes. I would rather spend that money elsewhere :D. But again personal choices!

The plumbing looks so nice I thought it was a digital rendering. Also I know it seems silly but aluminum foil helped me mock up my aqua scape based on the rock in my tank

Thank you! yes, I saw your the aluminum foil idea on your build thread. smart idea.

Okay, I have been lazy with updating the thread... "tank build got in the way" :p

it has been a month since the last post. But made good progress with the tank... it is fully setup and running. let me download the pictures and start updating here!

Built a drip tray using half inch PVC board. The raised platform is for the Skimmer. Calcium reactor and UV sterilizer will also go here.

1606940568844.jpeg

Attachments

• 1606940728396.jpeg
    1606940728396.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 315
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back