Saltwater

uechibang

Non-member
Hey All,

I am brand new to this hobby. I am ready to fill my tank (29 gal) with water, check the tank, set it up, etc.

My first question: I noticed in Petco that they sell 'pre-packaged' saltwater in 5 gallon containers. For a first time fill, is this a good way to go. I expect to set up a RO/DI filter in my basement to use to exchange water, etc.

Please advise.

Thanks

Premade can be a bit costly and I dont know how great Petcos would be in terms of quality. Id go to another LFS get a bag of salt, some 5gal jugs or homedepot bucket with lids, and get RO/DI from the LFS and go from there. 29 gallon tank shouldnt take too many trips back and fourth to the store!
If its your first fill and the tank is completely empty you can fill it with ro/di and add the salt to the tank. Make sure you follow the instructions and test the tank water for salinity.

WelcomeBRS2.gif

Many of our sponsor stores sell pre-mixed water, you may find that a bit more cost effective if you want to go that route. If you want to post your location I'm sure folks will chime in on good places to go.

Welcome.There are a bunch of places to get premade saltwater for a $1 a gallon.Petco charges $11 for a five gallon box.Plus you don't know how long it has been sitting on the shelf for.I tried to buy livesand from them and the bags had been expired for a year.

It's way cheaper to fill your buckets with RO/DI water and make your own saltwater.

Back