Sandstorm

t1771

Non-member
I switched from cc to southdown yesturday obviously causing a massive sandstorm. I have a magnum canister running, as well as my remora pro with mag 3. Also added my 45-50lbs lr back in. anything else I should do? I haven't rearranged the lr as of yet, since I can't even see it in the tank...so I know once I do that I will have another wonderful storm... :(

When this happened to me I did full water changes (3) and it got rid of all of it. But I don't think that would be a good idea with LR in there. I guess patience is key?

I went through a sand storm when I switched tanks last year. It takes about 2-3 days for it to settle. I added rock a little at a time (as soon as I could see in the tank) over a period of 2 days. All I had was a skimmer running at the time (didn't have a canister). It took a couple more days to slowly syphon the sand off the rock. Within the week you should be all set.:) Just my experience.....

Any critters in the tank?

Thanx for the support. I have my 5 fish in there...so far they seem ok. I read a few threads on rc and one guy said it takes up to 3 months!!! :eek:
A few others say a week tops, which isn't too bad! UGH...

Nah, if it took them 3 months they didn't do it right. At this point I would just let it settle without disturbing anything in the tank and keep the skimmer and canister running. The fish should be OK, remember there are sand storms in the ocean that occur from time to time.

Are you just starting to set up a tank or were you just switching sand?

I had a FOWLR for 6 yrs and cc, I have decided to switch to reef, so I made the substrate switch. I can see the back of the tank finally..I think the cansiter and remora are doing a great job.

Back