Seaclone 100/150 - Skimmer

beckalexis

...should be studying
Hi everyone,

I have a SeaClone 150 skimmer. This skimmer is starting to smell really bad (although the collection cup is cleaned out regularly). I am unable to clean the tall chamber very well, except running hot water through it. Does anyone own this skimmer and, if so, how do you clean it? Thanks in advance!

I have a 100 on my 29 gallon.I only clean the collection cup every couple of days to keep the smell down. I believe you can add kalk(sp?) to help eliminate the smell a bit. I am sure there are other people that will chime in and give you some suggestions about that.

Thanks Kevin. I thought about washing it with vinager but I wasnt sure if that would work. How long have you had it? Ive had mine about 1-1 1/2 years and its become slimy in the "collar tube" (tall chamber). My owner's manual mentions nothing about cleaning that piece. What is kalk (sp?) and where can I get it?

I occasionally run the skimmer with no air going. Making it a glorified powerhead. it removes some of the junk in the tube.

I had a seaclone at one time. Got all gunked up with stuff growing in it. I took a Homer bucket, filled it with a 1/2 gallon of vinegar and the rest with hot water. Dropped in a power head and let it go overnight.

Clean as a whistle. ;)

I have only had mine about 4 months.Aquadiva did what I probably will have to do in the future if I decide to keep this tank going.

If you pull off the collection cup and look inside the bigger tube, you will see a small rubber ring. Just get your fingernail (or screwdriver, but be careful) and pry it up; it comes out much easier than you would think. Now the inner tube will slide out, and you can clean the whole thing much easier. Glad they told us that in the instructions, huh?

I tried to get the inner tube out but did not think of removing the rubber ring. I will have to try that.

Like AquaDive, I have gunk growing in it. If I get to nervous or feel like Im going to break the skimmer trying to get the rubber ring out, I will try the vinegar soak.

To get the ring out, just roll your thumb along it perpendicular to the ring itself. It will start to roll up and out of the lip and bingo! it's out. Its also a snap to get back in.

for my seaclone skimmer I filled a 5 gallon bucket with a 10% bleach solution.
ran it for a day or so, then switched out to fresh water and ran for another day.

it would come out like new.
I believe as long as you rinse really well the bleach does no harm. at least it never did for my tank(s)

Back