Seriously getting Pissed! Why cant I get rid of this??

GottisEgo

Non-member
I am having trouble keeping this at bay. It looks like Diatoms/Cyano but I am not sure. My Phosphates dont seem to be elevated and my Nitrates are 0. What can be causing this outbreak?

I have done 25% water changes, and doing another one on Thursday.

Should I introduce a Phosban Reactor?

More Water Changes?

I was going to move everything over to a 90 Gallon but that project got side tracked and would like to get this under control for the time being. My corals have been coming along very well and this is the only eyesore.

Any help from the veterans is much appreciated!

DSC00273.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00275.jpg
[/IMG]

The best thing you can do is drip kalk 24/7, keeping your alk and pH up.
Keep the skimmer really clean, and IMO, go for lots wet skimmate. Increase
flow where you can.

6-7 months can still see cyano blooms. Be patient and raise your pH and alk to reef levels. It will just disappear one day.

Matt:cool:

I would try to increase the flow and see if that helps. Also it could just be one of those algae blooms tanks under a year get, they come and go. I have had some similar to that on my sand bed since setting the 180 up, I have had the rock for years but the sand was new

i agree, the flow could be picked up some, But the tank is still relatively new as far as tanks go.. patience is a virtue... :)

how does it go... good things come to those who wait, dont you just want to kill that person who made that up :)

I am having trouble keeping this at bay. It looks like Diatoms/Cyano but I am not sure. My Phosphates dont seem to be elevated and my Nitrates are 0. What can be causing this outbreak?

I have done 25% water changes, and doing another one on Thursday.

Should I introduce a Phosban Reactor?

More Water Changes?

I was going to move everything over to a 90 Gallon but that project got side tracked and would like to get this under control for the time being. My corals have been coming along very well and this is the only eyesore.

Any help from the veterans is much appreciated!

DSC00273.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00275.jpg
[/IMG]

You're putting off a move because of this?:p..lol
Wait till you see what happens after your move.....been there done that!That's really nothing but a few diatoms showing from maybe a worn out DI filter.
Stop messing around and go for the move this weekend.:D

Lol, no I am not putting off the move because of this. The tank I was going to purchase I ended up backing out off, as I am interested in purchasing a 90 Oceanic Tech Tank now.

Worn out DI Filter? I've only had it for 6 or 7 months, could it have gone already? If so, how do I replace it? I have a Water General unit I bought from them on EBAY.

You're putting off a move because of this?:p..lol
Wait till you see what happens after your move.....been there done that!That's really nothing but a few diatoms showing from maybe a worn out DI filter.
Stop messing around and go for the move this weekend.:D

You know I had the same thing going on in my 55 gallon.
This brown stuff much like diatoms would seem to gather on the substrate surface.And this all started to happen around the 10 month period.I asked on RC and one of the Guru's there said it could be silicates in the top off water.
At the time I was puchasing water so I had no idea what the TDS was(didn't have a meter).Now I have the same RO/DI as you do.I still had some light diatoms on the sand but since I switched tanks to the 90 gallon.Implemented a 10 gallan refugium and skimmer upgrade there's been no brown film anymore.
BTW......flow made absolutely no difference.I did have one heck of a cyano outbreak after the move.But the sand is snow white now.

You know I had the same thing going on in my 55 gallon.
This brown stuff much like diatoms would seem to gather on the substrate surface.And this all started to happen around the 10 month period.I asked on RC and one of the Guru's there said it could be silicates in the top off water.
At the time I was puchasing water so I had no idea what the TDS was(didn't have a meter).Now I have the same RO/DI as you do.I still had some light diatoms on the sand but since I switched tanks to the 90 gallon.Implemented a 10 gallan refugium and skimmer upgrade there's been no brown film anymore.
BTW......flow made absolutely no difference.I did have one heck of a cyano outbreak after the move.But the sand is snow white now.

I didnt think Flow was an issue either because I had 2 Koralia #3's and felt that was to much flow the way my Torch was being blasted.

Where and how do I get replacement DI's from Water General?

Back