Share your AI Prime 16HD settings and comment on mine!

cab395

BRS Member
I recently posted this question on Reef2Reef and was surprised on the answers I got so I thought I'd post here. A few people on R2R thought I wasn't using enough white, red, and green, however these are all the BRS AB+ settings so that had me a little confused as well.

It's a fairly simple question with a not-so-simple answer, I guess. My goal with my new tank is LPS and softies mostly with a couple of "easy" SPS at the top including Stylophora, birds nest, ect. My main goal is optimal growth and coloration of LPS and softies. The tank is lit by two AI Prime 16HDs. Given the above information, which option would you set your lights at and why? I have below a photo of the tank with the PAR level using an Apogee MQ-510. Of choices A (100%), B (50%), and C (36.5%), which would you pick and why? Also I'd love to see what others on here have their AI Prime 16HD set at.

A)
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 2.57.27 PM.png

B)

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 2.59.24 PM.png

C)

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.00.43 PM.png

Which setting are you currently running? As your corals look good.

Also how high do you have the lights mounted and over what size tank?

Which setting are you currently running? As your corals look good.

Also how high do you have the lights mounted and over what size tank?

Thank you. This photo was after 8 days away from the tank running the (C) 36.5% setting.

I agree for the most part coloration and polyp extension has been pretty good however the tank consumed essentially no calcium or alkalinity over those 8 days which to me says things aren't growing much (no calcium or alkalinity was dosed because I dose by hand and tank-sitter was inexperienced). Maybe I'm misinterpreting that but aside from a few new Zoanthid polyps I don't think much anything has really grown since setting up the tank.

The lights are mounted about 7" over the water and it is a ~31g lagoon style tank.

Can’t help much on the settings but from a par standpoint the 100% seems to be the right range. I would start by raising the % over the next couple of weeks to see how the corals respond

Here are the settings for the Prime 16HD over my 13.5 EVO (about 9 inches from the surface).

IMG_2428.jpeg

My tank:
IMG_2688.jpg

I like this light a lot, but I thought it would crank out a bit higher par at the upper levels of the tank. I'm getting ~250 where the Slimer is. I'd like to be at around 300 at the top of the rocks. My next step is to slowly bring the light an inch or so closer to the water surface.

Here are the settings for the Prime 16HD over my 13.5 EVO (about 9 inches from the surface).

View attachment 178183

My tank:
View attachment 178184

I like this light a lot, but I thought it would crank out a bit higher par at the upper levels of the tank. I'm getting ~250 where the Slimer is. I'd like to be at around 300 at the top of the rocks. My next step is to slowly bring the light an inch or so closer to the water surface.

Thanks, your tank looks good! What are the percenatages at the peaks there? Looks like the slider I over the ramp down reflecting those percentages.

I agree that you should use more white. It’s my understanding that the AB+ has the whites at 50% of the blues. 1:2 ratio. Full spectrum is good for chlorophyll.

…the tank consumed essentially no calcium or alkalinity over those 8 days which to me says things aren't growing much…
there are relatively few stony corals in this tank, especially given that it’s 31g. I really would not expect much of a calcium or alkalinity drop in 8 days. Have you seen big drops in this tank in the past?

I’m not as concerned here. I do think you could do with more light (gradually).

Just wanted to make a quick update. I changed my settings to the first option a couple of days ago, but I did make my CW 20% and my red and green 10%. Made no other real changes to the tank. I do have some Dinos that I'm dealing with but have been under okay control. I added UV today to see if it can help eradicate them, especially in the context of raising my lights I was worried they might get worse.

Long story short: things seem to like the increased light. Poly extension is really nice and my alkalinity consumption has risen dramatically.

In the last two days my alkalinity went from 8.4 dkh to 7.7 dkh, which if you'll recall the tank didn't drop at all after an 8 day vacation. I take this as the corals consuming more and growing more, but we shall see if this is a sustained response or not.

Back