Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Light viscous skimmate

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Light water skimmate

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

sixspeed

Non-member
Hey everyone, i was wondering what everyones skimmate consistency is. Mine is a pretty dark (greenish/brown) colored, but it seems to be pretty watery. I need to dump the collection cup every 4-5 days. I run a NW-110 with the mesh mod on a 40 gallon breeder, light stocked, with a 20 long sump.

Asm G2 skimmer.With recirc. and gate valve mods.
Dark watery skimmate that gets dumped and cleaned weekly.

Octo Extreme 160 with a mesh mod... Pulls like crazy!!!

i run a tunze 9002... and i still havent gotten it to where i want it.... but im going with dark watery

Light water skim-mate
Asm G1 with mesh mod.
Emptied every 3-4 days
The skimmate used to be dark goop, since I've hooked up a GFO reactor
it has changed to the lighter water consistency.

Euroreef RS-135 with gate valve and mesh mods, dark watery, and SMELLY! Yuk :rolleyes:

Clean every 3-5 days.

Octo extreme 160. I don't have to dump my cup often. Usually works great. Been acting up lately and pushing too much water into the cup. I dialed it back for now. I tend to wet skim more.

I run an ASM G6. That said, I can get anything from light watery skimmate to dark thick muck, depending on what I want. I usually run it on the dry side when I'm going to be gone for more than a couple of days. Normally I run it on the wet side if I'm going to be home so I can dump it at the end of the day. I didn't vote because there is no option for "all of the above". :)

Last edited:
Does running wet guarantee that you are pulling the most you can from the system?

yes, most people think skimming wet takes out more from the system. I dont know if there where any tests done on this though?
p.s. update your 40 breeder thread =]

Back