South Down = Cloudy Water

mrw64

I just used South Down sand for the first time to set up a small 40 gal. tank. The water is very cloudy. I remember seeing something about this in a forum but not sure if it clears up on it's own or if you should rinse it first. Does anyone rinse it before putting in the tank? Is there anything I should do to clear up the water?

You don't need to rinse it, you just need to add your water carefully. Usually by putting the plastic bag on top of the sand and then adding water, or by pouring the water in a shallow bowl, you can prevent a 90% of the sand storm. Now, after the fact, the only thing you can do is use a canister filter or Skimmer to help remove the suspended stuff, and wait for the sediments to settle.

some rinse it because SD is known to contain metal fragments. this does not fair well when using a magnet cleaner.
i'd take your magnet and run it through the sand just to be sure.

no sense on scratching the glass.

Scott Merrill said:
some rinse it because SD is known to contain metal fragments. this does not fair well when using a magnet cleaner.

no sense on scratching the glass.

Great idea , Scott

Scott Merrill said:

You know, I read that, too. I was curious about that, so I ran a big magnet (I used an old car speaker) through a couple of bags before putting it in the tank, and I got zip....How small are these fragments supposed to be? :confused:

I would think that being childrens playsand, SouthDown would be metal fragment free.

I am not disagreeing with anyone, if you say you found metal fragments in your sand, then I believe you 100%.I'm simply stating the first thought that came into my head when I read the post :)

Mind telling me where you found the Southdown? I need a bag, and I'm (once again) having trouble finding it.

Thanks, Nate

Hey Nate... I found some two days ago in Salem at the Agway on Rt 28 about 1-1/2 miles north of the Rockinham Mall....

They had a full pallet and it is 4.99/bag...

Later,

Mike

carbon

I used some carbon in a cheese cloth bag I made set on top of a big ol powerhead flipped upside down totally submerged in the tank. I ran it for just a half day or so. all the water has to go through the cheesecloth and the carbon before getting into the powerhead adn out the other end.

Back