SPS Chemistry Questions

mrow1997

Rhody.reefer
BRS Member
Hello all,
Getting back into the hobby and trying a totally different approach from what I am used to. This is posing the challenge of caring for and maintaining chemistry for my SPS corals (ie. Montipora). I have some pretty large colonies which were purchased in a package deal on FB marketplace. Would like to keep them thriving.

Right now every time I test my water parameters, everything is coming back within normal limits, however, I have done absolutely NOTHING to keep it this way. Not sure how old the setup truly is, as the whole setup was transplanted into my new tank from a tank of the same size. I have had it this way going on 2 weeks and it is not calling for any dosing. Is something off here? Shouldn't two rather large Montipora be absorbing elements?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tank is a 90 gallon 48x18 that is 1 month old. Coral, rock, and about 50% water were all transplanted approximately 2 weeks ago from a setup of the same size that was purchased as part of a FB marketplace deal. Running a Vectra MP40 and simplicity 1600DC running at 50%. The protein skimmer is a Coral Box D500. Lighting is 4 AI Prime 16HDs varying between 60-80% throughout a 10-hour photoperiod. Test kits are API for Phosphate, Calcium, KH, and basics. For mag I use the Salifert kit.

Attachments

• B0942948-B59A-4FC8-98EC-238721BD208A.jpeg
    B0942948-B59A-4FC8-98EC-238721BD208A.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 105
sometimes sps take a while to adjust to new tanks. I’ve had a rainbow splice for almost a year that hasn’t grown anything at all but is just there.

API test kits do not have the resolutions needed to guide dosing in a reef tank. However they work well with fish only tanks.
Also your coral may be still adjusting to their new home and the alkalinity consumption is still below what the the API alkalinity test kit can resolve.

API test kits do not have the resolutions needed to guide dosing in a reef tank. However they work well with fish only tanks.
Also your coral may be still adjusting to their new home and the alkalinity consumption is still below what the the API alkalinity test kit can resolve.
Which product are you suggesting or personally using as a guide for dosing? Just trying to get a feel for what products are actually worth the money.

I use Salifert test kits, which are accurate enough to guide dosing. For alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, any major brands of test kits that use syringe instead of counting drops will do.

One test kit should be avoided at all cost is API nitrate test kit, I have seen so many faulty ones over the past decade.

Which product are you suggesting or personally using as a guide for dosing? Just trying to get a feel for what products are actually worth the money.
Use whatever you want consistent is key and stick with it. Salifert is known out there so if you use salifert for alkalinity then stick with it. Your tank seem low on sps consumption. I have about 30 sps frags and only consume about 0.3-0.5dkh which is enough consumption for a water change. If you want you can try to leave your tank without any dosing at all and test weekly or daily if you want. I doubt your tank drop 1-2dkh a week with your livestock or rocks. Then dosing base on consumption.

Here is my weekly consumption on alkalinity 7-7.3 with dosing 25ml of soda ash and about 30 frags all sps. I know my trident saying 7 dkh but I also use Hanna alk checker and its saying 8-8.4 so I just use trident as consistency not accuracy. But with 0.5dkh swing daily I'm on with it.

Attachments

• DF002CCF-41AE-4686-BA4E-BC6F1D0E2BD4.png
    DF002CCF-41AE-4686-BA4E-BC6F1D0E2BD4.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 63
Ttran - you can calibrate the trident to the hanna checker test reading so they match.
I tried so many times and it always end up reading low. This is a brand new trident I bought on Black Friday.I look on other forums about the trident many people have the same problem with their new trident reading alk low. So I gave up trying to fix it. I even use their calibration fluid to calibrate it and it still end up reading low after.

I dont bother using their calibration because i found them to be unreliable. I trust Salifert tests so I force calibrate the test to an average of 3 tests from salifert.

Back