Sump bubble trap/baffle question

Trevor

Non-member
So I just finished up my sump and I'm wondering if I had screwed up somehow, I did my bubble trap section so the water runs under the first over the second and under the third baffle, I figured it would help keep any bubbles from even entering the trap if its pulling from the bottom of the sump, I'm not going to have any sand or anything in it so I don't see why it would cause any problems I'm just curious if there is any benefits of it running opposite, meaning over first under second and over third baffle, any input?

I'm pretty new to sump/refug but it was my understanding that the water is supposed to travel over the first under the second over the third. I had a thread going about building my sump in the DIY forum and thats where I got the info on the bubble trap

I'd like to hear other opinions on this, but I personally have an issue with "film" on my waters surface in any areas where there's not a lot of surface agitation. With that said, the only issue I can see is a possible layer of film on the surface in that section from pulling from the bottom. If there's a skimmer, and drain line in that compartment, there will likely be enough agitation to have this be a non issue.

thanks for the info fellas, well i wanted to try out my theory and put an airstone in the second chamber and got very very minimal bubbles going under the trap, i think it will work well, and pat im going to have everything from the frag tank/ats/media reactor/and skimmer draining into this chamber so i think the surface agiatation will be ok, also i dont think i will need any of those drains going into a filter sock in the first chamber as i dont suspect there to be any debreis/ particals coming from any of those, maybe the media reactor ill run into the filter sock just to be safe

I tried an airstone once and it created alot of saltcreep. I use a small powerhead just pointing up and it keeps the water agitated.

i wasnt necessarily trying to agitate the water as apposed to seeing if my bubble trap would work..

The way that you did your bubble trap is correct. You want the last transition for the water to be under, not over. Over into the next compartment is not a good bubble trap. Usually the first set of baffles is really a weir, which in combination with the first piece of glass or plexiglass of your second baffle creates a compartment in your sump that will maintain its water height at a set height (good place for refugiums and finicky protein skimmers) The last baffle needs the water to flow over the top and then under. You can add another two barriers to lessen the chance of bubbles making it through the trap, but the basic function lies in the fact that bubbles tend to go up in the water column. The trap flow is low in the water column and therefore it is harder for the bubbles to get past the trap. A very effective bubble trap has four barriers in it (a full "S" pattern - down up down). Absolutely no bubbles from the sumps that I have done this to.

Last edited:
I'd give some input but I've been running baffle-less sumps and haven't had any issues with bubbles or film build up. I think the skimmer and the drain type help with this.

My current sump is designed with the water going under the first baffle. The one problem I found with it is that you have to be very conscious where your drain is dumping the water from the overflow or all the bubbles coming from the drain shoots right under the first baffle without any obstruction. But I am using only 2 baffles, not 3. So I guess it could be different with 3.

I am planning on doing my next sump with 3 baffles. Water going over the first, down the second and over the third...Same thing before the return chamber. I have seen some designs like that with no issues, so I will give it a try.

For bubble traps, it seems like the best results come from over under over with at least 3/4 inch space on the first. This causes a very slow speed pull that allows microbubbles to rise back up to the surface before getting pulled under the 2nd baffle. The 3rd baffle is just for insurance, but forces the bubbles to the surface where they can pop.

Back