Sump

Owen22

Non-member
I have a bow tank, so the stand is a weird shape underneath. I was thinking of just making some framing (2x6's)and stretching pond liner between it to make a sump. Has anyone done this before? or used other water bladder type materials to do anything like this. Should I use a pool liner instead?

I've seen pond liner style sumps at a LFS so I don't see why not. Problem is that you can't put in baffles that easy, and I would be concerned with puncturing it. I would just find a small tank that is big enough for all of your equipment and that will fit in the stand, or make one out of acrylic.

Might have to check out the material the pond liner is made of to make sure it doesn't breakdown sitting in saltwater. Most liners are made for freshwater ponds. Why not just get a 100gal plastic?? trough like alot of others have used if you have the room??

I think it'd be better, although a bit more expensive, to build an acrylic sump if you want to maximize space. You could even make it wedge shaped to fit in one side of the stand, or pentagonal to fill the whole bow-front stand. All that heavy framing will take up space if you do a pond-liner sump.

Nate

(I'm moving this to the DIY forum)

I haden't thought of the baffle problem. I liked the pond liner idea because i could use all the space under my aquarium, but micro bubles would probably be a big problem. Any links to acrylic fabrication diy's.

There are a couple long-running threads for DIY acrylic in the Reef-central DIY forum. Might find some links in the DIY forum as well.

Back