Tank has a beautiful bright green hue....

LosingSleep

Non-member
The tank has been looking great after the brown diatom phased out a couple weeks ago with the help of a couple Astraea. Now the tank, rocks and sand are slowly getting a bright green tint to them.

Does anybody think adding a couple Nassarius will make a significant impact?

What size tank do you have... you may need more than a couple depending on the tank size? they will help in turning the sand over at night...

nassarius are primarily carnivores and feed mainly from the sand bed
you would be better off with astrea's,trochus,turbos.
I personally prefer trochus becease they are also happy to browse from your rockwork and are able to right themselves if tipped over,unlike astreas

From the sound of things you are moving through a cycle nicely.
The best thing to add right now is time :)

Thats not to say nassarius are not a good addition for overall tank and sandbed health, they just won't speed up what has to happen naturaly.

What size tank do you have... you may need more than a couple depending on the tank size? they will help in turning the sand over at night...

12g tank so I really need to keep an eye on the bio-load and the livestock to a minimum.
At the moment:
1 False Perulca
1 Firefish
2 Astraea
coral/false coral

13lbs+ LR
10lbs+ LS

nassarius are primarily carnivores and feed mainly from the sand bed
you would be better off with astrea's,trochus,turbos.
I personally prefer trochus becease they are also happy to browse from your rockwork and are able to right themselves if tipped over,unlike astreas

It looks like most of my issues will be with the glass. One Astraea is cruizing the glass and the other on the LR...they are fat and happy. :D

From the sound of things you are moving through a cycle nicely.
The best thing to add right now is time :)

Thats not to say nassarius are not a good addition for overall tank and sandbed health, they just won't speed up what has to happen naturaly.

That's ok as long as it's part of the cycle...which I thought I was done with. :eek:

EDIT: My nitrates were always in the >10ppm range so I thought it was just a cheap test kit issue. Last couple days they dropped to >5ppm. :D

Last edited:
If all you have snail/crab wise is 2 astreas, I'd definitely add 4 or 5 scarlet hermits, 4-5 nassarius, and 2 cerith snails to have a good clean up crew. These don't contribute to your bioload, since you don't add food for them. They'll eat what they find around.

If all you have snail/crab wise is 2 astreas, I'd definitely add 4 or 5 scarlet hermits, 4-5 nassarius, and 2 cerith snails to have a good clean up crew. These don't contribute to your bioload, since you don't add food for them. They'll eat what they find around.

Will do.... Which LFS has all these guys in stock?

Back