Target Parameters

Duds

Formerly Known as SrDudley25
BRS Member
Hello all,

So I’ve jumped back in with a 10 gallon nano until I finish getting the 40 breeder where I want it to be. The tank has cycled already, I borrowed the club par meter to set up the light, and added a couple zoas (bambams and vampire in drag) on Sunday everything looks fantastic . That has nothing to do with my question really but it brings me to it in a way. The goal is a mixed reef and this is only temporary until the 40 is done then it will all be transferred. What is everyone aiming for in terms of water parameters? I’ve seen the general guides with the range of alkalinity of 7-12dkh which in my eyes is quite a decent sized range as is true when it comes to calcium and magnesium. So just curious as to what your aiming for and why(growth, color, pe etc.)? Even if it’s just posting parameters of your tank and what type of corals you keep.

Thanks
Stephen

It’s been 14 years since I last owned a coral feels great to be back lol

I’m happy with the overall look and growth of everything. I have a mixed tank but heavy on sps. I’ll grab a full tank pic once I get home from work.

Sweet thank you very much I appreciate you taking the time.

What @Chris A. said.
19094003-DE4E-4736-BB6D-60EB793E9187.jpeg

Hello all,

So I’ve jumped back in with a 10 gallon nano until I finish getting the 40 breeder where I want it to be. The tank has cycled already, I borrowed the club par meter to set up the light, and added a couple zoas (bambams and vampire in drag) on Sunday everything looks fantastic . That has nothing to do with my question really but it brings me to it in a way. The goal is a mixed reef and this is only temporary until the 40 is done then it will all be transferred. What is everyone aiming for in terms of water parameters? I’ve seen the general guides with the range of alkalinity of 7-12dkh which in my eyes is quite a decent sized range as is true when it comes to calcium and magnesium. So just curious as to what your aiming for and why(growth, color, pe etc.)? Even if it’s just posting parameters of your tank and what type of corals you keep.

Thanks
Stephen
Welcome back @Duds. In your ten gallon Nanno are there only two zoa frags? In my experience with the smaller tank and less coral demand a simple water change will correct your levels. As far as parameters go I would pick a number and try to maintain that within 50 ppm. Alkalinity I would keep your level a solid as possible. If you choose 8dkh maintain that. No swings. I test everyday personally. Hope this helps. Don’t forget to test phosphates and nitrates. Important cause your talking color.
Here’s my parameters
Alk 9
Phosphate.03-.06
Calcium 450
Mag 1350
Nitrates 30 I love my fish
89836DD5-5591-415D-8444-05D62AA093F1.jpeg

Out of curiosity, what is everyone’s target temperature? Range, allowed swing, do you adjust this seasonally?

I’ve been targeting 75-77 winter, 76-78 spring/fall, 77-79 summer, but it climbed as high as ~81 during some really hot days

Out of curiosity, what is everyone’s target temperature? Range, allowed swing, do you adjust this seasonally?

I’ve been targeting 75-77 winter, 76-78 spring/fall, 77-79 summer, but it climbed as high as ~81 during some really hot days
Im targeting 78. I’m using apex and my temp swings half degree. During hotter months ac keeps it in range for me.

Welcome back @Duds. In your ten gallon Nanno are there only two zoa frags? In my experience with the smaller tank and less coral demand a simple water change will correct your levels. As far as parameters go I would pick a number and try to maintain that within 50 ppm. Alkalinity I would keep your level a solid as possible. If you choose 8dkh maintain that. No swings. I test everyday personally. Hope this helps. Don’t forget to test phosphates and nitrates. Important cause your talking color.
Here’s my parameters
Alk 9
Phosphate.03-.06
Calcium 450
Mag 1350
Nitrates 30 I love my fishView attachment 183768
First off beautiful tank! And thank you for your reply. Thats the plan pick parameters and stick to them. Just reading so much not sure what I want to go with I’ve seen keeping the main three at the higher side of their values really helps with growth but maybe takes away from color.

My alkalinity I’ve been aiming for 8.5dkh for now at least and it has a daily drop of .8dkh at the moment. I’ve been doing weekly water changes I don’t have an rodi unit yet so I’ve been buying it by the gallon(15 gallons at a time). Still waiting on my phosphate test kit to come in the mail. Nitrates are about 5ppm but pending what parameters you go with some people like that number haha. Mg is a bit low 1230ppm but not too much of a worry since zoas don’t use mg. I believe it’s high enough so that calcium and alkalinity don’t combine and fall out of solution(like I said lots of reading lol). Calcium is over 500ppm, high but I’ve read no adverse affects from it just don’t dose for it and let it come down. They say if it bothers you that much do a water change.

Coral wise yes that is all I have in the tank two zoa frags. I have two misbarred ocellaris clowns and a decent cleanup crew consisting of hermits, an emerald crab, variety of snails, and a tiger conch. Wow have some prices changed in this hobby lol.

Thanks!

I’ve always gone for 78 year round when I had my last tank and will be doing the same with this one.

Back