the things I do to keep my tank cool...WARNING

Reef55

BRS Member
So, I decided to get a high speed, 8" industrial metal fan to blow across my sump. Set it up yesterday morning on the eurobracing on one end. Came home later that day, it was still running fine, but I thought "You know, just in case someone bumps the fan, it might go in the tank... I think I'll put a piece of duct tape across the top of the fan to hold it in place."

While putting on that piece of tape....

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 253
  • thumb.JPG
    thumb.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 256
Eeeeew What part of the fan did you slice it on?

Carefull if part of your thumb fell in the water. Your fish might have a taste for humans now :p

Last edited:
Cindy, I caught my thumb on the intake side... if it was the other side it would have just pushed my finger away :(

When I was about 10, I had a neigbhor showing me the safe way to use a table saw. He took the thumb down to just below the nail.

Looks like the wife will be doing the tank work for a while. Keep the thumb dry and behave yourself!

Funny how these things happen... oh well, live and learn :)

The Temporary One-Armed Reef Keeper

next time when you want you turn off the fan, pull the plug and not try to stop it with your finger! :D

I had a bunch of friends over for an anniversary party this past weekend and they were in front of the tank when I overheard someone ask "How hard is it to set one of these things up - to which someone said "You got to be a genius!!!" I almost laughed out loud. If there is one thing we at the Boston reefers are not, it is a bunch of geniuses. Idiot savants maybe ? genuises ?no. I know I have done a bunch of things in this hobby that have scarred me, maimed me or put my life in danger including but not limited to electrocuting myself reaching for a broken heater- it threw me across the room, zapped myself good twice on a malfunctioning pump (First time didn?t convince me), Diameda Urchin spines ? they sting and they have to be cut out, a 3rd degree burn on my hand from a 400 watt MH bulb.

Marko ? From my perspective that is a well earned badge of honor.

P.S.- RBC?s are a great form of coral food! Watch those corals polyp out with a little blood in the water.

thanks for all the words of wisdom / encouragement ;) I knew I could count on this group :)

Yikes Mark, Looks nasty, did sara stitch it up for you? ;)

If you need a hand looking after my tank, now that you're maimed, you could contact the moderators. A few of them offered to help with that if I needed more tank help.

Thanks, hope you heal up soon.

nate

LOL Nate... Sara did a great job wrapping it up while I made a valiant effort to pass out before getting to the ER :) A doctor did the block and stitches though ;)
I checked on your tank and cats this evening, they are doing well.

BigSmokeShowJOE... no you don't ;) J/K, seriously though it is a EBM brand, model w2e143-aa15-01, seen on bottom right corner:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/1315.pdf
sent you a pm.

Back