This wet side should still be good, right?

ChrisV

BRS Member
PXL_20220812_131725698.jpg

i just got my ICP test result back and shows I have high tin and and my mp10 pumps cross my mind along with other things. After doing a couple of water changes and adding carbon I’m going to test again and see if it comes down.

i just got my ICP test result back and shows I have high tin and and my mp10 pumps cross my mind along with other things. After doing a couple of water changes and adding carbon I’m going to test again and see if it comes down.
That's not rust, it's free GFO!

No problem at all, I had many these pieces of arts over the years and they all worked extremely well inside trash barrels. Consider all the free GFO you get and your phosphate should be all under controlled.

It is common for the wetside, they should be replaced every year according to the manufacturer so this won’t happen.

In a traditional power head, the only physical rubbing (contact) points are the two ceramic shoes with the ceramic shaft. The magnetic rotors are encased within ceramic (such as all the Gyre pumps), or suspended by the ceramic shaft. So that the metal rotors have no physical contact with the motor housing.
The design of MP pumps makes the large metal rotors rubbing against the back covers on the wetsides. So the coating on the rotors grinds down and in contact with saltwater and lead to rust. Out of the factory, there is a thin layer of silicone grease between the rotor and the back plate, but it wears out.

I will say though I Clean and check them at least once a month to be safe
After cleaning, apply a thin layer of pure silicone grease between the rotor and the back cover will prevent this to happen, provided the wetside is new or there is no physical scratches on the rotor, otherwise get a new wetside. There was a repair kit for wetside many years ago and it was long discontinued.

Haha well, I have to admit that I do not change my wet sides every year. However, this was a wetside from 2011 that I had in storage for use as a back up if needed.

I'm starting a new project, so I was digging in my boxes (and boxes) of old reef crap and came across this work of art. When I put it into storage, the community was still super into cleaning pumps in vinegar. I guess this one must not have been rinsed very well between the vinegar soak and being put away for years and years. Lesson learned! Luckily citric acid is cheap!

My guess is that the magnet looked like it's brother before taking the vinegar bath:
PXL_20220812_134256652.jpg

Haha well, I have to admit that I do not change my wet sides every year. However, this was a wetside from 2011 that I had in storage for use as a back up if needed.

I'm starting a new project, so I was digging in my boxes (and boxes) of old reef crap and came across this work of art. When I put it into storage, the community was still super into cleaning pumps in vinegar. I guess this one must not have been rinsed very well between the vinegar soak and being put away for years and years. Lesson learned! Luckily citric acid is cheap!
So, what's the new project?

Back