Thumbs down for SEIO

denvig

Time To Wake Up
Got a new SEIO 820 at MACNA had it on the tank for one (That?s One) week and now it just sits and gyrates and will not turn. The flow was great for a little while.:(

I picked up a Tunze Stream at the show and was feeling dumb because a SEIO at a fraction of the cost comes close in volume. I feel a little better now.

I have a Sieo 820 also for a few months now. Seems to get jammed up more frequently than my MJ1200s and took quite a bit of fideling to get working again (even after a vinegar soaking)
If I ever go to a bigger tank I think I'll get a Tunze

Thanks guys.. was about to get a 620 because my fish tank needs a lot more flow. Hmm......Now what.......

I have had no problem with my 820. Have had it for about 4 months and haven't even cleane it yet and it has worked great. I do know that the impellor inside the pump is very suceptable to jamming if debris gets in. Comparing a seio to a tunze is not even close to a fair comparison unless you have a VERY VERY large tank. Even the smallest tunze is FAR too powerful for a tank less than 6ft. If you want to use a tunze on a 4 ft tank or shorter you must buy the controllable one along with the controller and then buy equipment to mount it. that ends up being over 350 Bucks. I got my seio for 70. It was a very good investment for me as I don't have enough expendable cash to drop 350 on a stream. If I had a huge budget then I would have a stream, but then again I would have a much larger tank as well. From my experience I would recommend the seio for tanks 4 ft or less when budget is a concern

Just another perspective

I use the tunze 6060 in my 90 which is a 4' tank. I like it and still want more flow. No controller but it's on a timer to shutdown at night for low flow in tank.

But with the problems so far, is it worth it to buy a $70 ph that keeps failing? And with RIO's past record, is it worth taking the chance of a meltdown?
I was really hoping that this new product would mark a change in their quality. But the initial results look bad
I've had a few MJ1200's that have run for close to a year, without cleaning. My Tunze has been running for 8 months or longer, no cleaning, no problem

My 820 is very clean and the impeller is free to turn but it just vibrates back and forth like it can?t decide whether to go forward or backwards. Nothing I do seems to do anything to correct this. I want my MJ1200 back. I never had a problem with them and ran it on a wave maker for almost two years. (And no I did not use the Seio on the wave maker)

Last edited:
Scott I agree that the Seio has a wider flow but it only flowed about half way across my tank (2 ? feet) before the flow was gone.

I got 2 or the 620's paid something lie $30/per and have had them running for a few weeks now with no trouble. In fact I've seen nothing but good results from their addition in my tank. FWIW, I've also had good success with Rio PH's in the past, have some in my tank that have been going strong for 4 years now (aside from the odd electric jolt now and then when I try to jump start it ;))

The 620 I bought 3 mos. ago is still working fine and haven't cleaned it yet, still kept the MJ660 on the other end of the tank though. I guess you can get a lemon whatever you buy.....?

reefsmurf said:
What the heck I'll try one.. would a 820 be too much for a 55g?
No i dont feel it would be. I run my 820 on a 75g which is 4ft just like the 55g. Plus I still run 3 MJ1200s with it and I dont feel I have too much flow.

The 820 I have was good for the 3 foot length of my 65g. I would go with 2 for a 4 foot tank. Can't add any input about longterm performance, as I only used it a little while before upgrading tanks.

If anyone wants it I don't need it anymore...$40 (plus shipping if you don't want to pick it up in central Mass). PM me

Back